Is it possible to connect my iPod touch to the internet through my ethernet mac?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Inyourfacepunk, May 29, 2010.

1. Inyourfacepunk macrumors newbie

Theres a macbook pro thats connected via ethernet, and we need wireless for the iPod so we can download stuff from cydia. I have tried computer to computer network with wireless sharing on etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks everyone!

2. TheVendor macrumors member

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing

3. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I know of no way to utilize the Internet connection from a computer on an iPod. I believe this is referred to as "tethering" and is just not possible. I also know of no way to download anything directly to the iPod from the Internet. However, you can use some free apps like Discover, Briefcase Lite, and GoodReader Lite to download files like .pdf, .jpg, .gif, .doc from your computer to your iPod.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Just make an ad hoc network. It's quite possible.

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Oh, its easy to do, and I do it all the time

SYSTEM PREFERENCES -> SHARING

In SHARING, you need to turn on INTERNET SHARING. Once turned on, on the right, you need to set SHARE YOUR CONNECTION FROM:-ETHERNET-, and then in the TO COMPUTERS USING: dialog, check airport. Once done, click the AIRPORT icon on the menu bar, and CREATE NETWORK. It will prompt you to name the network, and give an option for a password. You can leave the default channel alone.

6. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Oh, then I misunderstood the question. Sorry about that.