Is it possible to connect my new Mac mini to my Macbook White Earlt 2008's screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gusbemac, Aug 6, 2012.

1. gusbemac macrumors member

Hello everybody!

Good afternoon!

I'm a new user to this forum. Before I buying something, I come to ask to you about your experience and your opinions about using the Macbook as if it's one screen for my new Mac mini.

I have a Macbook White Early 2008 (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4) and a new Mac mini mid 2011 (OS X Mountain Lion 10.8).

I have a cable HDMI x HDMI.

My grandparents don't want to buy a monitor because they think I'm addicted.

I'm without a monitor for a month. My grandparents don't allow me to use their TV to connect to my Mac mini because they want to see their TV every 24 hours.

I need a lot a monitor for working, so I have clients. I can't lose my clients. But my grandparents don't allow me to buy a monitor until October or December. They criticised me a lot and called me addicted... blablabla... I'm not addicted because I worked, I didn't play games or had fun. Only on every weekend. But they're addicted too and old-fashioned. To work a lot on a Mac or PC as graphic designer for clients isn't an addiction, but they don't want to hear and keep calling me addicted. They don't understand about computing and my job because they're very outdated and god-fearing religious.

But forget everything and let's about the idea that I got:

I found many Apple mini-DVI to HDMI cables at the stores, but before buying, better I asking about your experience. I understood that my Mac mini can be connect from HDMI x HDMI cable to the HDMI x mini-DVI that can be connected to my Macbook White.

Is it possible to connect? Does it work? Did you have experience with you? Is it advantage or disadvantage? If it is disadvantage, which?

If you ask me why not to use my Macbook. Well, because I use heavy apps, as many graphic design apps. I open more or less than 3 windows. My Macbook gets slow when I work. My Macbook has only 4GB and doesn't support 6 or 8GB. The graphic cards and processor aren't good for opening more than 3 apps or heavy apps.

Thank you for your attention, understanding, patience and help!

Gustavo Reis

2. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

No. The MB can output an image to another screen, but can't input an image from another computer for the MB's screen to be used as the input.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are devices like the Elgato EyeTV that allow this,but they cost more than a monitor.

4. gusbemac thread starter macrumors member

Too bad

Too bad!

My grandma has a monitor, but the monitor uses the VGA. I have VGA x HDMI cable. My Mac mini has an Apple DVI x HDMI cable.

Is it sufficient to buy a VGA x DVI cable for connecting with DVI x HDMI from my Mac mini to the monitor with VGA?

Is it possible? Does it work?

Thank you again for your understanding, attention, help and patience.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

VGA is analog. DVI/HDMI are digital. they can't connect together without active electronics.

6. gusbemac thread starter macrumors member

And the VGA/HDMI cabe?

7. Tartarus macrumors member

you can try a usb to hdmi input adapter, not sure how well it would work for cad design, but if its your last resort, its worth a try i guess

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

You can use a mini displayport to VGA adapter, around 20$ on eBay or monoprice.