Is it possible to connect to 2 Newtorks with a USB wi-fi dongle?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kwissylawrencek, Mar 25, 2012.

1. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

The reason I ask is because I am thinking about possible configurations for my house, and one problem I have been having is video streaming performance to my :apple:tv when someone is downloading something, particularly HD videos.

I have a spare wireless router that I could set up as just a no-internet local network to connect my :apple:tv to my imac through the usb dongle, leaving the internet network for downloads etc.

Does anyone know if this would be possible?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I'm sure it is, just like it is possible to be on both wifi and wired lan simultaneously. you could connect the iMac to the internet by wire, then make a hotspot for the TV - then the apple tv would have its own wifi, and internet since you could share it from the mac.

3. kwissylawrencek thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah! You can, can't you. I guess the USB dongle just shows up in the Network devices list.

And thanks for the idea! Unfortunately I can't do exactly that because the router is far away from my computer, but you gave me plenty of ideas on how I can!

Thanks again :D

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Most good routers have some form of QoS where you can set priority for traffic from different devices.

Another option is a dual-band router which has 5GHz reserved for the AppleTV and 2.4GHz for everything else.