Is it possible to control the MBP backlight keyboards irrespective of ambient light?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ncdasa, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ncdasa macrumors member

My friend got a 15" MBP right before the June upgrade with the 7hr batteries etc, and was telling some things that bothered her about it. One thing she mentioned was she couldnt (or at least couldnt figure out how to) change the lighting in the keyboard manually?

I thought "what, of course you can?". Then I just took a quick momentary look myself and didnt see the buttons or figure it out either. Admittedly I didnt get to look around in system pref. but I am wondering, did just miss the most blatantly obvious thing or is that the lights only adjust automatically depending on outside light? It seems impossible for me to believe that they wouldnt be controllable manually, so could someone kindly explain how this works?

Sorry for extremely basic question... :rolleyes:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

The F5 and F6 buttons dim or brighten the keyboard backlighting respectively.

4. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I think he's looking for a brightness slider.

5. phixiuz macrumors regular

I don't see the point of being able to turn on the backlight keyboard in a bright environment? :rolleyes: That's the only situation where you can't change it. Once you're in a dark environment you can just use the hotkeys on the top of the keyboard to control it, then they work.

6. ncdasa thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunatly, thats exactly the situation my friend wanted it for. She said that the sun comes in and hits her keyboard when the rest of the room is dim and this turns the lights off, but that she would rather have them on...:rolleyes:

I know its a small thing but I was just surprised that there wasnt an in built option to control all the functions completely manually.

Anyway that last post seems like its gonna do the trick...

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Use labtick