Is it possible to copy Office from my IMac to my new Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sportdan31, Apr 19, 2007.

1. sportdan31 macrumors member

I'm assuming this is possible, but what steps do I take to accomplish this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Uninstall it from one machine and install it on the other using the discs.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It is possible, but illegal unless you intend to delete the original. The quickest way is to connect the two with an ethernet cable. Open system prefs on the iMac -> Sharing -> Turn on Personal file sharing.

On the macbook your iMac's HD should come up on your desktop. Browse it to find the Office installation in the Applications folder and just drag it into the MB's Applications folder :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since Office allows drag and drop install, yes, you can just drag the entire Office folder from the Apps folder of the iMac to the Apps folder of the Macbook.

To clarify the legal issue, it's also legal if you have a license that allows multiple installs, such as the student / teacher edition.

But if neither the multiple license nor the intend to stop using on the iMac apply to you, be a good boy/girl and pay for your software! :)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well no as it will ask for a serial number iirc. so as long as you have a legit sn its all legal

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The standard and professional versions also allow you to install it on two machines, as long as at least one is a portable and the copy on the portable device is used exclusively by the primary user of the first copy.

I'd still recommend installing straight from the discs so that you can easily customize the installation.

Professional License
    Standard License
    Student and Teacher License

7. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

why do that anyway?

I wouldnt give 10 seconds time to anything with MS on it. NeoOffice is free. ..and it has no blood on its hands like Gates does.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

And it is MUCH faster on intel machines :)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just because its microsoft? if so that's kinda silly. i prefer office to anything out there hands down

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

The drag and drop should work and you would then put in your Office SN/code, whatever you call it. Be aware that if you have both machines running office at the same time, the 2nd one to start up office will tell you it has to quit because it has sniffed out the sn on the other machine. I run into this with my daughter's computer and mine. I'm loath to pay another $300 for office, so we just don't use word at the same time. :)

Am I a vile thieving criminal? Probably. I sleep pretty good at night though...