Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hi!

I have a slight issue. A company is sending me status SMS regularly via a service which is called SMS from a carrier registered e-mail (via Company’s e-mail). Long story short - I receive an SMS via the company’s e-mail to my phone, but when my carrier delivers it in a form of SMS, each message comes from a slightly different number (last digits change). In SMS there is sender’s (company’s) e-mail included always.

The issue is that I cannot put those messages neatly under one contact in iOS, and they are just randomly ‘dropped’ in my SMS application as if each would come from a different sender. As there are many of those messages, this is quite a problem...

Any possible solutions?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hi!

I have a slight issue. A company is sending me status SMS regularly via a service which is called SMS from a carrier registered e-mail (via Company’s e-mail). Long story short - I receive an SMS via the company’s e-mail to my phone, but when my carrier delivers it in a form of SMS, each message comes from a slightly different number (last digits change). In SMS there is sender’s (company’s) e-mail included always.

The issue is that I cannot put those messages neatly under one contact in iOS, and they are just randomly ‘dropped’ in my SMS application as if each would come from a different sender. As there are many of those messages, this is quite a problem...

Any possible solutions?
The only thing I can think of is to turn on the Filter Unknown Senders option in Messages Settings. This will make a separate list of all of your messages from numbers you don’t have saved as contacts. If you don’t receive many texts from unsaved numbers besides the ones from your company, this may be a solution.

Reactions: Susurs

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Seems to work only for iMessages, however...

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Is it possible to send an e-mail from a PC/browser to my iMessage associated e-mail in a way that I receive an iMessage ito my phone, or I am talking something totally wrong? ... :)

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Is it possible to send an e-mail from a PC/browser to my iMessage associated e-mail in a way that I receive an iMessage ito my phone, or I am talking something totally wrong? ... :)
Not that I know of. You can only send iMessages to and from an Apple device be it an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
It's more steps than moving it to a "folder" would be…but you could create a contact and add each new applicable incoming number to the contact.

They are infinite :) I mean, last 3 or 4 digits always change

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Hi!

Any possible solutions?

Is there any way you could have the company send the messages as E-mails over SMS, rather than directly as SMS from short codes? For example, depending on your carrier you can receive SMS at an E-mail that usually looks something like "3051234567@mms.att.net" or similar; usually when those get delivered, they have the source e-mail address as the sender, not random numbers.

Worth a try if you can configure the system sending the messages in that way.
[doublepost=1519354239][/doublepost]
They are infinite :) I mean, last 3 or 4 digits always change
Huh. Are you using AT&T? I just did some testing out of morbid curiosity, and:

If you send the Email to:

phonenumber@txt.att.net

The message comes in exactly as you describe, from a different "phone number" each time. But if you send it to:

phonenumber@mms.att.net

...it comes in from the sender's E-mail address. Maybe the problem is the messages are being sent to txt instead of mms. Worth looking into.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
It’s not AT&T, but some carrier in northern Europe.
[doublepost=1519368379][/doublepost]I will see that phonenumber @ mms option

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It’s not AT&T, but some carrier in northern Europe.
[doublepost=1519368379][/doublepost]I will see that phonenumber @ mms option
I hope it works for you!

The fact that it's behaving similar makes me think AT&T and your carrier might share some software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.