Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
you never spilled water on it?

I use a damp cloth to clean my track pad. Maybe occassionaly I have put a some drops of water on the track pad then wiped with a micro fiber cloth.

There should be NO reason why any of the water sensors should have gone off.

I recently bought AppleCare, and have this paranoia that when if I need to use it in the future they'll say "Oh the water sense is off you wasted your money on AppleCare"

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I use a damp cloth to clean my track pad. Maybe occassionaly I have put a some drops of water on the track pad then wiped with a micro fiber cloth.

Don't ever put liquid directly on any part of your computer. Dampen the cloth, wring out the excess, then wipe the computer.
If a drop of water makes its way into an unlucky spot, it certainly could set off the moisture sensor.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have put a few drops of water on my track pad to clean it but have no reason to believe water got into the machine.

Is there anyway to check?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have put a few drops of water on my track pad to clean it but have no reason to believe water got into the machine.

You mean apart from opening it up, risking damaging it and voiding your warranty anyway?

You could always buy a second one and keep it in case it breaks ;):cool:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You mean apart from opening it up, risking damaging it and voiding your warranty anyway?

You could always buy a second one and keep it in case it breaks ;):cool:

I'm not concerned about it. I'm staring at my trackpad right now. I just put drops of water ON it, and made sure not to wipe over the edges to prevent the water from getting into the space between trackpad and computer. There's no way water could have seeped into the crevices. At least that's how I see it.

Maybe I just have an anxiety problem. For real :(

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Considering my '12 rMBP never triggered the moisture sensors, despite being in a humid atmosphere, don't worry. It shouldn't be a problem.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's a number of possible things that could trip the moisture sensor, including exposing the laptop to high humidity environment, trying to clean the laptop. etc, etc.

So yes its possible that apple will see the tripped sensors, deny coverage even though it never involved in a water spill

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
There's a number of possible things that could trip the moisture sensor, including exposing the laptop to high humidity environment, trying to clean the laptop. etc, etc.

So yes its possible that apple will see the tripped sensors, deny coverage even though it never involved in a water spill

So would it have made more sense to get the laptop inspected BEFORE buying AppleCare?

I'm worried that I just wasted 174 on AppleCare :(

But I seriously doubt I tripped the sensor. It works perfectly and I've never experience trouble.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So would it have made more sense to get the laptop inspected BEFORE buying AppleCare?
No, because it doesn't prove anything other then at the time of purchase its fine. If you live a humid or topical area, then it may still cause the sensors to trip after you buy applecare.

Reading this thread, though I think you're making a major problem out of a non-issue. What I've mentioned are the rare exceptions, not the rule.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014

I've had a tons of water droplets (well, most of them were beer) on my trackpad and it's working like charm... I mean, if it doesn't drop on the corner of the trackpad, there's no need to worry (trackpad isn't permeable).

Btw, if you live in a humidity zone (included in the humidity range usage told by Apple), you're on your own even if having Apple Care?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I've had a tons of water droplets (well, most of them were beer) on my trackpad and it's working like charm... I mean, if it doesn't drop on the corner of the trackpad, there's no need to worry (trackpad isn't permeable).

Btw, if you live in a humidity zone (included in the humidity range usage told by Apple), you're on your own even if having Apple Care?

Thanks. And I seriously doubt humidity will trip the sensor because it says online that it has to be water. Unless you use the machine in the sauna or something you should more than fine IMO. Even then, it's not really liquid water touching the sensor.

----------

No, because it doesn't prove anything other then at the time of purchase its fine. If you live a humid or topical area, then it may still cause the sensors to trip after you buy applecare.

Reading this thread, though I think you're making a major problem out of a non-issue. What I've mentioned are the rare exceptions, not the rule.

My concern was that the sensor was ALREADY tripped before buying AppleCare, then it would have been a waste of money.

But yeah your right I think I'm just being anxious over no reason. Probably one of those "keep calm and carry on" moments :)

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I just wanted to update everyone who has similar concerns (about tripping the water sensor in the trackpad)

It's almost impossible to trip it without actually experience trouble with your trackpad.

Essentially, if water seeps between the crack, you trackpad WILL act erratic.

Even people on this forum have stated that their own tears from having a bad day, or as little as 2 drops of water can make your trackpad run a muck.

So, if any water has gotten down there, you can rest assure you would know.

If you've never had any trouble, you can be certain no water has gotten down there, and therefore your water sensor is A OK.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I read an article a little while ago that Apple got their wrist slapped for rejecting iPhone repairs when the moisture sensor had been triggered, despite them never having been directly exposed. They agreed that in future they would open units up to look for further evidence of water damage before rejecting them. I would hope they would do something sensible like this with a Macbook.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
you never spilled water on it?

There should be NO reason why any of the water sensors should have gone off.

I recently bought AppleCare, and have this paranoia that when if I need to use it in the future they'll say "Oh the water sense is off you wasted your money on AppleCare"

You can always call apple and cancel your apple care and they will refund you some of your money based on how many days you have left on the warranty

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
lolol why on earth would you ever VOLUNTARILY drop some water on your laptop? You're just asking for trouble at that level of care...

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
... Maybe occassionaly I have put a some drops of water on the track pad then wiped with a micro fiber cloth. ...

I recommend changing this practice moving forward.

Instead of putting water onto the trackpad (or any part of the system, for that matter), put the water on the cloth, and even then just enough to dampen it. It should not be dripping wet, or wet enough so that it leaves droplets on the system after wiping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.