Is it possible to get older verstion of skype

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fritzov, May 19, 2009.

1. fritzov macrumors member

For the last couple of weeks i been using my iphone for 3g skype calls and it all worked perfect.

But naturally i got my iphone stolen last week and i just got my new one. And the only version of skype i can install seems to be 1.0.3 with seems not be able to do any 3g calls with.

Is there a way for me to get an older version of skype on my new iphone?

2. navigates macrumors 6502a

I don't understand. Mine works with the latest version. Don't use the themes. that messes up skype.

3. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

how did u get it to work then?

i used to just install voipover3g and it worked like a charm, but not with 1.0.3

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  5. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

You can on jailbroken iPhones.

6. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

My question still is how to to it on newly installed version 1.0.3

edit: After reinstalling mobilesubstrate it seems to be working now.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Get the old version of Skype.ipa? Well, get it from someone who hasn't updated.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I don't know if that will work. Isn't the ipa file tied to the itunes account?

9. bgalm macrumors newbie

BTW, Appulous still has Skype 1.01 for download...

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Delete the new file and then use Time Machine to recover the old .ipa ... Works like a charm. ;)

11. strikingviking macrumors member

I am using the latest version of Skype on a 3G unlocked, jailbroke iPhone and cannot make Skype calls over the 3G network, only via WiFi. When I try, I get a message that says that 3G doesn't work for Skype calls and to use WiFi. Am I missing something? Is it possible make Skype calls over 3G network?

12. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

restart your iphone..

13. strikingviking macrumors member

Thanks but I tried that and it still says that skype calls require wifi connection. Has anyone been able to make a skyp call over 3g? If so, how?

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Works fine here.

Just make sure MobileSubstrate is installed, along with VoIPOver3G ...

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've been able to make skype calls over 3g but the quality has been terrible. I'm not sure why but it's driving me nuts!

16. strikingviking macrumors member

Thanks mavis. How do I install MobileSubstrate and what is VoIPOer3G? Is this something to turn on inside my iPhone or an app to add?
    Thanks

17. psywzrd macrumors 68030

They're both jailbreak apps. Install them via Cydia, reboot your phone and you should be good to go.

On another note, can you guys please try a test call in Skype over 3G (there's a test call option within the app)? When it comes time for you to record a message, just start counting from 1-20 (or however high you get before it cuts you off). When I do it and my message is played back to me, I can't hear several of the numbers. I don't know if it's just my phone or what but this should help me figure that out. Thanks.

18. strikingviking macrumors member

Wow, thanks everybody. After I downloaded those two apps I can make very clear calls down here in Mexico on the 3G network, without WiFi!

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Bump. Can someone please try this for me? I don't know anyone else using Skype over 3G on their iphone so I'm relying on people here to tell me if it works for them. Thanks.

20. strikingviking macrumors member

Thanks to downloading the two suggested apps, I can now place Skype calls on 3G without having to use WiFi. There is only one hitch so far when using Skype on my iPhone--the earpiece/mic does not work. I can hear fine but the person on the other end says my voice is garbled. I tried two different types of ear pieces and got the same results. I also confirmed the garbling through using Skype Test Call. Any suggestions?

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It sounds like you are having the same problem I'm having. It would be nice if a few more folks here could do the test I mentioned earlier so we can see if it's a widespread issue.