Is it possible to get the Hermēs watch face?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tycho24, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Since the betas for Watch OS 2 were simple configure files that you launched from the phone... I'm hoping one is floating around that has the new watch face. Anyone seen it?

2. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

That is likely a big "no". Apple more than likely smelling huge profits in these kinds of co-branding partnerships, enabled an authentication system that prevents the watch face from even being downloaded in an OS update, unless the proper serial number (or other verification) is returned to identify the watch as an Hermes edition. Since these watches were pre-loaded, only they will likely have it.

If at some point down the road Apple permits the sale of custom watch faces and Hermes actually begins selling the bands for the Watch separate from the co-branded watch, I would expect some kind of unique unlock code for a one-time authentication of the band purchase to get access to it, or a free download of the premium-priced Hermes watch face from the custom watch face store. I could see designers charging $100 for the watch face, which they would give away for free with purchase of the matching accessory.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nobody has bothered to hack into the Edition-specific watch faces (more exclusive at $10,000-17,000) so why should they start with Hermes?

4. Tycho24 thread starter Suspended

Tycho24

I was COMPLETELY unaware of edition watch faces. Link?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're the same faces but with yellow or rose gold-colored hands, complications, etc. (to match the yellow or rose gold cases). We now sort of have this in wOS2 in walnut and vintage rose.

[​IMG]

6. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I just wish Apple would come out with or allow some watch faces that actually look like nice faces like the Hermes Edition do, I love the Android Wear watch faces, some looks so realistic and I know the Apple Watch could handle beautiful faces like that.

7. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

As soon as iOS 9 is jailbroken, I'm sure you'll see something along those lines. Certain people around here insist that Apple is intentionally trying to pain them or be irrationally difficult... which is hilarious.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You'd need access to the Hermes watch and it's hardware port to be able to get the template off.

9. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

"...you really need to let this go. Seriously."

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't even need it. The Edition and Hermes-specific faces are already within the wOS, but hidden unless installed on these models. Really no different from iOS not showing certain options on older iDevices that are otherwise available to newer models. All you have to do is hack into the wOS, but nobody has bothered to do this to get the Edition-specific faces.

11. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Exactly... I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as a .plist edit. It'll be done.

12. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Come on, man... breathe. It'll come. :p

13. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

DO you know this for a fact? Is it documented in a developer's kit somewhere? Since Apple has the ability to app slice now, why would they allow these custom watch faces to be potentially accessed through a wOS hack when they don't have to?

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People have hacked into iOS for the various exclusive features to make them work on older devices, and there's no reason to expect any differently with wOS.

When there's a will, there's a way.

15. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The limiting factor is a lack of a hardwired port, I would guess.

16. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I did notice the gold sport Apple Watch sets the first color option in customizing faces to gold to match the metal body - was a nice touch

17. KPOM macrumors G5

There might be other differences between the OSes in each version. I noticed that in my Hermes when I restored the backup from my old Watch, my enterprise settings didn't force me to select Unlock from iPhone like on my old Watch and I was able to set up a password. It's possible this is just a glitch in my enterprise settings for iOS (my employer hasn't officially approved iOS 9 yet, but I have an iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6S that can't run iOS 8 so they tolerate it).