Is it possible to get the student discount + the free ipod promotion??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kflik, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Kflik macrumors member

Now that today has brought upon new iMac rumors (see main macrumors page) I was wondering with the free iPod promotion not too far away, would it be worth to wait for that promotion?

I am a grad student, so I know I can get the education discount, but if I were to wait for the iPod promotion, would I get both..the free iPod + the education discount to my new iMac? Or is it a sort of, one or the other type of thing?

I have read a ton of information on the education discount and on the iPod promotion, but have not seen this question answered and I was wondering if anyone on here has ever received both promotions at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

2. Pass2Yao macrumors member

Yes, you do get both. I'm waiting on the sidelines as well.

3. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

Wait, when is the free iPod promotion going to be made available? I did not know about this.

Link to more information?

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

no link as of yet but late may of each year if you are a student you get the free ipod promo runs from may 20 to aug 31 just keep looking at this thread and when the link comes up someone will post it. mac mini does not qualify,
    but mac book
    mac book pro
    imac do for sure.

you pay upfront for the computer and the ipod then get a rebate check in the mail about 6 weeks later

5. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

Late May of each year?

How many years has this 'late May' tradition been kept up for? If it is several, then I suppose we can trust that it will happen again this year. If it only happened once or twice, we cannot be entirely sure.

6. Pass2Yao macrumors member

I don't know when the program started but it's been active for the last 5 years that I've been aware of it.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Never takes six weeks, usually in your mailbox within a week

Several years consistently now

8. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

Great!

There's no chance that they will be offering an iPad this year instead, though, is there?

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Not even a snowballs chance in hell lol

They basically use the ipod promo to unload the old stock before introducing the next generation model in september, all while making a handsome profit on the macs they sell for the promo. Brilliant

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Lol, doubtful. However, the rebate is the price of the cheapest iPod Touch. They might let you get the rebate on the price of an iPad. That would be an excellent marketing strategy without much loss on their part because you would still be paying the iPad price minus $229.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

OP - don't forget about the printer rebate as well! You get $100 rebate towards a printer as well, and they always stock one that costs $100, so there's a bonus right there. Rebate works the same way; file online or instantly in the Apple Store, and you get a check about a week later. :)

I'm doing all three offers come Juneish assuming the iMac refresh happens before then: Education discount, free iPod Touch (probably selling as I have an iPhone), and the free printer.

On a sidenote, anyone know if they would let me use the iPod Touch rebate instead on an iPhone 4 upgrade?

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I doubt it, ipod stock is usually more than demand at that time of year, ipad stock will be low for a very long while

13. spacepower7, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I did this deal in 2003, so it's been around for awhile.

Back then the were not specific about the iPod model numbers, so they let me upgrade a 30GB 3G iPod to 40GB a week after I bought it.

14. Pintail macrumors member

Do highschool teachers qualify for the discount? I would like to get one for my husband (a teacher) - our pc makes his blood pressure go up every time he tries to work from home on it.

15. seandavid010 macrumors newbie

Ooh, good question. I'm a teacher, and would like to know the answer to this one as well.

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

This discount is usually just for students in higher education, but there really is no way that Apple verifies that your a student.

17. seandavid010 macrumors newbie

Well, I guess I should clarify:
    I know that we as teachers get the education discount just like the students do, but I was wondering if we can get in on this free iPod touch promotion as well.

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Yes, I don't think the free Ipod has anything to do with weather your a student or not. Everyone can get one during the promotion.

19. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I would say yes. I got the discount as a relative of the college student 2 years ago. Now I gave the computer and the printer to the student but I kept the ipod.

20. Calbretto macrumors member

Calbretto

So the free iPod is for everyone? Not just students?
    Is this an iPod Touch we're talking about?

21. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I believe so yes.

It's the lower end Ipod Touch, yes

22. silverboadicea macrumors newbie

So I've never bought anything from the Apple store. When I go in to buy my computer (with my student discount) and then get an ipod, will I just be handed an ipod before I go on my merry way, or will I have to pay for the ipod and wait forever for a rebate to arrive in the mail?

23. cjhorist macrumors member

rebate

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

besides checking every now and then and asking you to send proof of enrollment/schedule

I have been checked twice

No, it is not for everyone.

It is the Back to School promo....