Is it possible to Install OS 10.6 as a Guest Operating System on a windows Laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaybar, Mar 25, 2010.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I will be purchasing a Dell laptop 17" and I wondered if it were possible to install OS 10.6 as a guest operating system, perhaps using a VMware or parallels products? If so, what are the steps involved.

The laptop will have an i3 processor and 6GB of RAM.

All things being equal, i would have gotten a MB Pro 17", but the cost differential was more than double and work very much prefers a windows laptop.

I will be running Windows 64 bit home premium.

Thanks in Advance,

Jay

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The simple answer is no.

The complex answer: This is technically only allowed with the server version of Mac OS X, and even then only on a Mac.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its against the EULA and being such vmware doesn't make it easy for you to do this. Technically there are steps to circumvent the issues, but you'll not find those steps here. You'll need to search the website for places that document such work arounds

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's possible to replace Windows with OSx on a number of Windows PCs, but it's against the EULA and requires a bit of work to get it up.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually vmnware has windows products too, in fact their windows products are their main source of revenue.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I think that VMWare actually makes most of its revenue on Linux servers. Their Fusion product probably is more like a pet project for them. Both VMWare and Parallels are big players in the data center market.

We still don't know if Apple's EULA is legal at all. Maybe it is in the United States, but looking at the ruling against Microsoft back in the year 2000 in Germany where their EULA was deemed illegal, I have good reason to believe that Apple's EULA is not worth the paper it is printed on (at least in Germany). Apple also has not yet sued any commercial European manufacturer of Hackintoshes, and that just underlines my opinion. Apple probably knows that they have no legal weapon against "cloners" in Europe and that you cannot claim copyright laws in Europe to keep customers from installing Mac OS X on non Apple hardware.

That being said, VMWare and Parallels both have implemented some artificial restrictions into their products that check whether you are trying to install a client version of Mac OS X on their products. There is documentation on the web that describes how to circumvent those restrictions. If those workarounds work, I don't know and I don't really care. From everything that I've read, the performance of Mac OS X in a virtualized environment must be horrible and supposedly sound is not working properly either.

Technically, I think the way to install OS X in a VM should be similar to installing OS X on regular PC hardware. Visit InsanelyMac for guidelines.

If you're not yet infected with the OS X virus, I suggest that you rather invest your time in Linux or FreeBSD instead. OS X offers you less Freedom than Windows, thus it cannot be the answer.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

Lifehacker has a good guide on running osx in vmware. It's easy to do but is in a sense illegal but that dosent stop people.

8. tdream macrumors 65816

What sense would that be? It totally is illegal so know this before you get started.

9. speedfreak007 macrumors member

you should check insanelymac forums for those kind of questions

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

In a sense of not walking in a crosswalk not really enforced yet but could be.

11. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Yes it's possible, but you won't get Quartz Extreme.

12. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Not only that, but from what I've gathered, it's horrendously slow and can't compare to the real OS X experience on a capable machine.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The performance is similar to virtualized windows running within OSX, or even within windows for that matter. I say it's similar, because OSX virtualized does run a bit slower since certain interactions have to be virtualized (sound and video come to mind) meaning there's more strain on the host computer's resources.

Overall, the experience isn't bad, but really it's not worth it.

14. JKColo22 macrumors regular

I feel the need to interject that it's really not "illegal." It may be an action that could result in Apple filing a civil suit against you, but I am hardpressed to believe it is something the government could fine or arrest you for.

15. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

So true, I was able to do more with a Dell mini hackintosh than a vmware hackintosh :p