Is it possible to make a copy of OS X DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c073186, Apr 25, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I have the family version of 10.5 and I want to install it on my sister's computer. The thing is, she does not live near me and I would want her to have a DVD in case something happens. Is there a way I can make a copy of it?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll need a dual layer disc but it can be done using Disk Utility.

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

To ease your mind a little, there's virtually no reason to ever reinstall OS X. You can fix just about any problem with a few terminal commands or freeware utility apps.

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

That's great! Then I'm sure you won't mind giving OP your DVD copy of the OS X since you'll never use it ever anyway.:rolleyes:

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Is your sister a student?

6. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

You can make a disk image with the Disk utility.

Then you can use the same Disk utility tu burn this disk image to a new Dual layer DVD. (Single layer just 4Go, Double layers is twice the capacity, and OSX is a Dual Layer DVD, so...)

7. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I've made a copy of mine. The computer sees the disk and can read it from Finder. However, the computer would not boot from the disk. I've tried 3 different disks; none would work. I wasted $12 testing that crap!

What did work, however, was copying the disk as a .sparseimage or .dmg, and then burning it onto a partition on an external HDD. I burned mine onto an 8GB USB HDD, and it does boot and install and WORK :D