Is it possible to move Graphics card from slot 1 PCIe to Slot 3 or 4

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by urbanrt, May 26, 2010.

1. urbanrt macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to set up a mac pro using Slots 1 & 2 for RME ADAT digital audio cards and move the graphics card (geforce GT 120 512mb) to slot 3 or 4 so that I can maximize slot speeds for multiple audio playback via logic. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve :eek:)

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

3. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Are you sure this is something you should even be *worrying* about? The RME cards are only x1 PCIe, and putting that into a x16 slot isn't going to accomplish anything. Add to that the fact that the 250 MB/s bandwidth of that single lane will carry 800+ channels of 96k@24-bit, and there's really not a problem at all...

4. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

it's not necessary at all. what al2o3cr said...

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

Yes you can, but in this case, no you shouldn't.

6. urbanrt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Especially the bit about RME cards only being x1, I thought they might have been upgraded. Can I ask, 250MB/s bandwidth is for a single x1 lane? Recently I was involved in a theatre show running Ableton Live via two RME cards into Mac Pro PCIe slots 1 & 2 and we suffered occasional audio glitches. The system was running 32 tracks continual for a two hour show. Is there anyway to streamline the cards to avoid this happening?

Thanks for all the help so far, very very useful for me to know!

Steve :eek:)