Is it possible to play the original unreal tournament on X?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by togermano, May 15, 2008.

1. togermano macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2007
    I bought the Game award edition from walmart for cheap... was be cool if I could play it on macosx
  2. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    There is a way, but that's all I know! It's not great though don't think music plays on it.
  3. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2005
    Possibly this file will help? If not then don't ask me, I've really no idea.

EDIT: that link is broken. Instead follow the instructions on this site. Note that you'll need to go through the 'install', 'upgrade' and 'convert' instructions before you're able to play anything — don't think there's something missing after you get to the end of 'install' and don't yet have a working OS X installation.

Also, most of those files are in .sit format — an archive format associated with StuffIt Expander, a singularly horrid piece of software. I wholeheartedly recommend The Unarchiver as the best software for expanding .sit files.
  4. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Yes, you can play UT99--without needing Classic--even on Intel Macs--and in my experience it works great including all my mods except for certain minor glitches, like blocky smoke trails on rockets.

Installing it may be tricky--I haven't tried that because I copied my installation from an OS 9 machine. Still, even an OS 9 installer may work fine if you have a PPC Mac and Classic. Then you could dump 9 when it comes to actual play.

You need the OS X version of the UT app--which can go in your UT folder alongside the regular UT app. And DON'T FORGET (like I did) to follow the readme and use the special .ini files that are provided.