Is it possible to receive phone call notifications in Yosemite without making calls?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by docprego, Nov 27, 2014.

1. docprego, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

docprego macrumors 65816

I know I can send and receive phone calls from my Mac if setup properly. I have no desire to do this BUT I would like to receive a notification on my Mac and iPad Air when a phone call arrives on my iPhone 6 Plus. Is this possible?

2. Steve28 macrumors regular

When you get a call, your Mac will "ring" - you get a notification in the upper right of the screen. Just don't click the "answer" button.

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, I appreciate your input. I considered this but there is a problem which prevents it from being a viable solution for me.

The problem is that actually enabling the calling functions in order to get the desired notifications requires me to deactivate WiFi calling which I do not want to do. This is why I'd like to get a notification without enabling calling. I could then take the call on my iPhone which is often in a different room than my Mac or iPad while still having WiFi calling enabled.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

What do you mean by this, do you have an app that conflicts?

5. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

No this is an Apple requirement. You cannot have wifi calling enabled at the same time as the continuity feature of receiving and sending calls, it's not possible.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ah - I see WiFi calling wasn't announced and isn't supported by any NZ carriers yet. I can understand the conflict. Nearest I can suggest is the App Handsfree, this just turns your Mac into a BT handsfree - you could then get a notification but wouldn't need to answer it. As it is BT it shouldn't conflict with WiFi calling.