Is it possible to restore phone to 2.0? (please read entire question)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BobboZR2, Aug 9, 2008.

1. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

I just got a replacement phone today and it's still showing 2.0 for it's software. My previous phone was on 2.0.1 on my computer. Is there any way I can restore this new phone from backup but keep it 2.0?

2. The General macrumors 601

Yes. If you're using a Mac, hold Option and click restore, and window will pop up asking you to locate the firmware file. Find the 2.0 firmware file you want to restore with, it's in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/

If you're using Windows, it's shift click, and I dunno where the files are located but you can search for *.ipsw and find its location that way.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I don't know the answer to that one...

I would think that if you restored the phone from a backup it would not update the firmware it would just reload your info. Then you would have to choose to update when it was done.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What's so great about 2.0 anyway? You're better off with 2.0.1.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Restoring from backup does not update the firmware - it restores SMS messages, settings, wallpaper, and applications (and e-mail, contacts and calendars if you don't have push enabled).
    You should be fine, but if Apple changed any of the internal formats between 2.0 and 2.01 there may be some problems.