Is it possible to run an Xbox 360 through an Apple 23 inch HD display?

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hello,

Well I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas (I think!), and I have a 17" HDTV, but I do not think it would be as enjoyable as playin Xbox in HD on my Cinema Display. Is there any way in linking the DVI port on the ACD to the port on the Xbox. I don't really have much idea here with what wires are needed I just think it would be great to be able to play Xbox 360 on a 23 inch screen and really get the most from it. Any suggestions in how to do this and what is needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
I'm not 100% confident about this, but I think there is a VGA to DVI convertor, which you would need to get the xbox connected.

I've seen two, one was VGA to DVI Digtal convertor for around $600 and the oher was VGA to DVI (analog) for $18 A huge price difference and I'm not sure either will work.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
MadCatz is working on a DVI adapter for the Xbox360, which should be available in a few weeks. When that lands, you'll be able to use the Xbox360 w/ a 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Hope this helps.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ChrisBrightwell said:
MadCatz is working on a DVI adapter for the Xbox360, which should be available in a few weeks. When that lands, you'll be able to use the Xbox360 w/ a 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Hope this helps.
hey does that mean theres hope of running PS3 with a 23 cinema?

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
All you need in order to use the 23" Apple display with the 360 is the $39.99 vga-av cable supplied by microsoft but not typically stocked at most stores (ebgames will ship you one) and a dvi-i to vga adaptor, available at apple for less than 20 bucks. The adaptor is so cheap because dvi-i and vga are both analog signals, so no video conversion is necessary. An applecare representative told me that the apple displays support both dvi-i and the other dvi standard ("dvi-something" - the one used by video cards), unlike many dvi monitors which only accept the dvi digital signal. Apple displays support dvi-i in order to allow older ibooks (which only output vga) to use the displays.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
TheGimp said:
Apple displays support dvi-i in order to allow older ibooks (which only output vga) to use the displays.
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. It's been noted several times that the DVI connection on current Apple displays is only a digital connection, disallowing an analog input.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
ChrisBrightwell said:

Hope this helps.
do you have a link for this?

ellixan

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Ps3 Hd

ChrisBrightwell said:
There's always hope. :)
Attached: PS3 I/O, according to the Sony E3 Press Conference.
Not sure what AV Multi output is (do they mean the usual red, white, and yellow?), but it looks like you'll need a DVI - HDMI converter. The monster cable version runs about $50 at Comp USA.

Attachments

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
ChrisBrightwell said:
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. It's been noted several times that the DVI connection on current Apple displays is only a digital connection, disallowing an analog input.
I really hope you're wrong. The Applecare guy told me what I wrote above after checking the serial number on my aluminum 23" display. If he was incorrect, then my opinion of Applecare will drop down another notch, after having already dropped after my previous interaction with them.

One thing however:
One of the techies at the Applestore told me that the aluminum displays can be used with the older ibooks. If that is correct, then chances are they do support the analog dvi-i.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
ellixan said:
Attached: PS3 I/O, according to the Sony E3 Press Conference.
Not sure what AV Multi output is (do they mean the usual red, white, and yellow?), but it looks like you'll need a DVI - HDMI converter. The monster cable version runs about $50 at Comp USA.
Does this mean the aluminum Apple Displays will work with the ps3, even though the Apple displays are not hdmi compliant? I mean, of course one can use a dvi-->hdmi adaptor (as does my girlfriend to go from a dvi cable box to her hdmi Sony TV), but I've read that going the opposite direction is problematic due to the copy protection scrambling inherent in the hdmi signal.

Anyone?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
if the PS3 is actively enforcing the HDCP part of HDMI, then no, it won't work, because the current ACDs whether they take an analog signal or not (which i doubt, by the way), do NOT have the HDCP "handshake" hardware necessary to be the recipient of an HDCP-encrypted digital video signal.

Of course, this is true of more than 99% of the monitors that have been released in 2005, and probably way more than the majority of 2006 monitors as well, so good luck on that. I have an 8th generation Panasonic 50" plasma that doesn't have HDMI (by choice) but does have VGA. the optional HDMI add-on board costs as much as a PS3 probably will, and I'm very happy with 720p over VGA or component, so I'll have to pass on the PS3 if it doesn't support either HD over component analog or VGA analog.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
DaftUnion said:
Actually just a straight no. Unless you want to take out a soldered connection to the monitor.
Well there are ways to get video into the iMac (such as a TV tuner or analog video capture device), but none of them are really optimal.

cartoonfox

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
London
Hi, sorry to be off topic (xbox 360) but i was wondering if there is anyway to play gamecube (normal composite cable) on my iMac G5?

i know there is the EyeTV EZ but i heard it has slight lag, which is no good for playing video games really.(if anyone has this and uses this for playing video games on Mac please let me know)

i dont want to have to buy an iMac display (my TV is too old and large to fit in my new room (moved for uni)), im a poor student : ]

thanks for any help.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
cartoonfox said:
Hi, sorry to be off topic (xbox 360) but i was wondering if there is anyway to play gamecube (normal composite cable) on my iMac G5?

i know there is the EyeTV EZ but i heard it has slight lag, which is no good for playing video games really.(if anyone has this and uses this for playing video games on Mac please let me know)
This is the only way that works, as there is no video input on the iMac, as stated a few posts up.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Is the video signal given out from the Xbox 360 analog or digital then?

cartoonfox

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
London
ah i see, ok.

well, if i were to get a cinema display, would i be able to play gamecube on it? in other words composite cabl or scart?

sorry, i dont really know much about this stuff.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
cartoonfox said:
ah i see, ok.

well, if i were to get a cinema display, would i be able to play gamecube on it? in other words composite cabl or scart?

sorry, i dont really know much about this stuff.
oh come on! I know you probably really want to find out if it is possible to do that, but this thread is based around running an xbox 360 on an ACD not a gamecube. If you really want to know start a new thread!

cartoonfox

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
London
gangst said:
oh come on! I know you probably really want to find out if it is possible to do that, but this thread is based around running an xbox 360 on an ACD not a gamecube. If you really want to know start a new thread!
sorry dude, im new here didnt want to start a new thread on something that is probably allready mentioned somewhere.
i'll go search now.

peace