Is it possible to stream videos from VLC to AirPort Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonpgorman, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jonpgorman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am interested in buying AirPort Express/AirPlay (...those are the same thing, right?), and I would like to know if it is possible to stream the audio from a video I am watching in VLC to AirPlay. I.e., Can I watch a video on my computer in VLC, but have the audio play through remote speakers?

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to attach an external hard drive to AirPort Express through the USB port, so that I can connect to it wirelessly?

Thanks!
    Jon

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not natively. There may be a 3rd party solution.
    No, you need an Airport Extreme for that. The USB port is primarily a printer-only port.

Uses for the USB port of Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express

3. jonpgorman thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm also curious about streaming the audio from Netflix watch instantly to AirPort Express (or Extreme)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Same story.

5. HunterMaximus macrumors member

You want Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba.
    Sends whatever audio you're listening to on your Mac to anything that supports Airplay (Airport Express, Apple TV). It looks like it has some sort of mechanism to keep the audio all in sync as well, which is an issue if you're doing wireless sound for video.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

Extreme doesn't have audio out.

Airfoil will only sync the audio for videos played with their player, so you're out of luck for Netflix.
    You can play to multiple locations, and they will all be in sync with each other, but they will all be about 2 seconds behind what's happening on the computer.

For Netflix your best bet is the apple tv.
    With the appletv, you can also use airflick if you have a Mac, You can send files to it.
    You can also use it for just audio, like the express.