Is it Possible to Upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 on a 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pauliedoggs, Jun 1, 2011.

1. pauliedoggs macrumors member

My phone is not jailbroken.

I'm not sure I want to upgrade my 3GS to the latest OS4 just yet. But I would like to go from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3.

Is there a way to to this?

Thanks for any input.

--Paul

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unless you have your SHSH blobs (unlikely in your case), no. For more information on SHSH blobs and saving them, use Google or your preferred search engine.

3. kaifs macrumors member

if it is NOT jailbroken, I would go for 4.2.1 and greenpois0n jailbreak after it. you should be able to google 4.2.1, download, then hit Shift+restore button in itunes, it will ask you for location of your ios, you navigate to it, sit tight for about 7-10 minutes and it will be all good after that. Restore your itunes library to the last back up...
    problem you will have is that a lot of your stuff will be lost, UNLESS:
    jailbreak via http://jailbreakme.com in your safari. Download and install pkgbackup, make a back up (it will store it in iphone and itunes), sync your jailbroken iphone to ituens (appsync and few other software pieces will be needed, but not a big deal... BEFORE your sync)... after upgrade of IOS, you re-jailbreak via greenpois0n, download and install pkgbackup, restore first from that then sync to itunes... probably would take me 30-40minutes to get it all done now, however, back when I first started took me few hours to get it ALL done...
    Good luck.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Read up on the 3G/S sluggish performance with iOS 4. After updating to iOS4, I no longer have a working GPS. And it is the most painful thing in the world to downgrade back to 3.

5. Phil-82 macrumors member

Im not sure how tech savvy you are but this is pretty easy to do.

1) go to this site http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

2) select the specific firmware you want to go to ( yours would be 3.1.3 for the 3GS )

3) download it. Make sure you save it to a spot you won't remember ( make sure it's a .ipsw)

4) open up iTunes with phone plugged in

5) press restore while holding shift

6) a window should pop up showing your documents. Select the .ipsw file you just downloaded

7) iTunes will do the rest. Cheers :)

Ps I know firefox and chrome automatically name it a .ipsw file so if you can use one of those

If you are unsure how to rename it just simply right click the file, go to properties and change the type to .ipsw

Cheers

6. kaifs macrumors member

I do not have to read, I actually used 4.2.1 on 3gs and it did fine. I did not experience GPS problems (well, on first lunch TomTom was saying signal is not available, however, after launching Navigon and playing with that for a bit, TomTom started to work too...). Basically I had a 3rd Gen touch that I loaded 4.2.1 to, used it for 4 or so months and when it proven to be fine, 3GS got loaded with it... I have been using 4 since. touch was used with road bike quite a bit, and never had a GPS (well, not active like a iphone), so BTstack GPS and holux 1200 did the trick for that...
    I am not sure what problems are people describing with 3rd gen but I did not run into any... if anything, 4.3.1 is horrible, but one of the iphones is brand new so no blobs were available.

7. pauliedoggs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Phil.
    I went to Felix Bruns's site. Wouldn't I want to hit "Shift-Update" since I technically don't need to "restore"?

I should mention that I am running iTunes on a PC (Windows 7, 64 bit).

I am not super tech-savvy but I'm not completely useless :D Actually, I would say that I know just enough to be dangerous. I usually end up screwing something up and that's how I learn how to fix it. Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

I am going to try to do the update this weekend when I have some time to deal with any issues as a result of trying to update to 3.1.3

Many Thanks!
    --Paul

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The first response you got is the only valid one. You cannot do what you want to do unless you have SHSH Blobs saved for the firmware you want to upgrade too. Unfortunately apple does not allow you to upgrade to any firmware except the one they are presently signing and that is 4.3.3

Since you have never been Jailbroken then it is very unlikely you will have SHSH blobs. If you had a 3G then you could update to 3.1.3 without SHSH blobs but my understanding is that you have a 3GS. Even with a 3G you cannot upgrade to any version of 4 without SHSH blobs.

9. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Don't listen to Phil, he is not helping you. Intell on the other hand is correct. You can NOT update/downgrade to iOS 3.1.3 unless you have saved SHSH for iOS 3.1.3.

10. pauliedoggs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do more research before I try this. At least now I have a direction to go in.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you trying to preserve BB? If so, you can update to the latest iOS (4.3.3) using a custom firmware from snowbreeze.
    Since you have a 3GS, there are security checks that require blobs to install anything older than what is the current iOS. So contrary to what some people posted, you can't install 3.1.3.
    Although it's too late to get the older blobs, d/l tiny umbrella and start saving your blobs. You only need to run TU every time apple comes out with a new iOS. TU comes out with a new update about a week or so after the iOS comes out. You should time your blob retrieval after d/l the new TU.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I suggest you save your current SHSH blobs with iFaith. That way you can go back to 3.1.2 if you don't like 4.3.3.

13. pauliedoggs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all who posted. I am going to see what I can do with all the info given. In my back pocket will be the possibility of upgrading to the iPhone 4. I am getting real close the update date. That way, if I really goof this up, I can just get the new phone.

14. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

IOS 4 runs sluggish on a 3G, but not a 3GS. It's very snappy and GPS works just fine. I rely on Navigon all the time with mine.

15. pauliedoggs thread starter macrumors member

Follow-Up

First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. All the info was very helpful.

I downloaded Tinyumbrella to save my SHSH Blobs but I couldn't get it to work. I think it said the server wasn't working at the time I was trying. Anyway, I decided to skip the blobs and let iTunes upgrade my 3GS to iOS 4.3.3 knowing there was no turing back at that point.

The update went off without a hitch and everything seems to work OK. I'm really digging the ability to create folders. Some things seem faster like shutting off Airplane Mode and acquiring the 3G network (AT&T) but some things seem a little laggy like waiting for Settings to open up as well as some other apps I cannot think of at the moment.

I don't really notice a difference in battery life with 4.3.3 but one thing I did was change all my mail accounts to Manual instead of Push. That's helping to save battery because I have 4 email accounts.

I updated my wife's 3GS to iOS 4.3.3 as well with no issues. I have Win7 and she has Win Vista (SP1).

--Paul

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Not sure why you've put the 3G and 3GS together in that statement - the performance of the 3GS is closer to that of the iPhone 4 than the 3G and it runs 4.x without any problems at all (my wife has been running it on her 3GS since the day it was released)