Is it possible to use a couple of the "F" keys for volume control?


macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I was just wondering if this is at all possible. If you are wondering what i am talking about, i want something like what i have on my Pro Keyboard (it has volume keys, and the eject key).

I know that on the older computers, with OS X or maybe with OS 9 too, F12 functions as your eject key. But, i want to know if there is away to do this for the volume as well. If it is possible, how would i go about doing this, would i have to program something?


macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
On my PB, F5 turns the volume up, F4 turns it down, and F3 mutes/unmutes the sound.

In Panther, if you go into the control panel, and click on keyboard & mouse, there is a tab called "Keyboard shortcuts", you mightbe able to add it in there.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.