Is it possible to use my 2011 iMac screen (& speakers) for PC monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MythicFrost, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've got a 2011 21.5" iMac and I'm wondering if its possible for me to use it as a display for a PC? And also could I use the speakers?

Any help is appreciated! :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's possible but such Thunderbolt adapter doesn't exist yet (mDP doesn't work).

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, that's too bad. Hopefully one will become available soon.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

And if it's not, why? I don't understand why such an adapter hasn't been created yet.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It hasn't been made yet. There are companies working on it, but TB is a pretty complicated technology, and expensive too.

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Meh, then it shouldn't have been included until this was worked out. Very unlike the Apple I know (from using my iPhone/iPad) to make such a stupid decision. Ugh.

8. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Keep in mind apple isn't in the business of providing peripheral hardware for the competition. And current Macs can output their video via Thunderbolt and have it input onto an iMac via the Thunderbolt. How video is switched between the iMac OSX and the external Mac I do not know--only passing along what Apple told me.

Maybe there is an app for remote desktop that would allow you to control the Windows computer from your iMac.

9. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's not what I'm aiming for here. I don't want to buy a screen when I can simply use my iMac's display. I hope they make one soon! Thanks all.

10. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

That wouldn't do any good for playing games, which is the only reason I want to keep the PC around. If Apple offered their own alternative for playing games I would take it, but they don't, so I have to find my own solution.

"Keep in mind apple isn't in the business of providing peripheral hardware for the competition." Really? You think the bean counters at Apple would complain if they sold a $1,000 monitor to a guy to use with his PC? I bet they'd be just fine with that. If anything, it's a "gateway drug" to using more Apple stuff. I'd have never considered a Mac computer before first owning an iPad (which works just fine with my PC, by the way), but after thoroughly enjoying that product I decided to give the dreaded Mac a shot. Turns out I enjoyed that too.

But this... this reminds me why I always hated Apple to begin with. My hardware is perfectly capable of doing what I want it to do -- hell, it DID what I wanted it to in the previous year's version. It's just so frustrating. My set up would be PERFECT if I could do this one thing. Since I can't I'll probably be returning the iMac next week (still in my window) since it'd be silly for me to have 2 completely separate desktop systems. I don't have the desk space for that anyway.

Is Apple in the business of making people return their $2,500 computers a week later?

11. PinkyMacGodess, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Isn't it more of a connector issue with the way that Apple implemented ThunderBolt?

Other implementations use a different connector scheme so someone would have to do a connector conversion to maybe make it work, and once other vendors switch to ThunderBolt over fiber, then converting the Apple copper based TB wouldn't be a very pragmatic idea.

EDIT: And on the whole whining about Windows, I use both Windows dedicated systems and run Fusion on all my (2) desk top Macs and just don't have issues. I guess I used standard PeeCee type monitors and only have one older Apple monitor on an iMac. I've never had an issue but then I have the space for all that crap in my office. Eventually someone will come up with an adapter and possibly even a switch that would allow for people to change the input to share the monitor between two system.

Another tangent: I have stopped deploying Lion on my systems because the Microsoft Desktop Connector software doesn't run on Lion. That sucks because I use it a lot on my iMacs and one of my MacBooks.

If there is a need, someone will fill it. Eventually...

12. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm sure sooner or later there will be an adaptor released to do this, I hope, anyway. You'd generally check this out before you purchase your iMac, I asked but nonetheless needed my iMac regardless. Hopefully, there will be a solution before I build my computer, eek!
    Actually, no. The cables for Thunderbolt are copper right now because the fibre optic cables aren't ready yet I believe. However, there's nothing in the implementation of Thunderbolt on any Mac that would prevent you from using fibre optic cables when they're released, to my knowledge.

13. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I asked too, the guy in the store told me it'd be no problem with mDP adapter. Said he played Call of Duty through a PS3 rigged up to his iMac every night. Guess he didn't know anything about the 2011 models. Figures that he wouldn't.

The companies I would expect to make adapters (Belkin, Kanex, etc) have said they're looking in to it but can't comment at this time . Sounds like Apple whip cracking to me. I hope it's just an issue with the technology. I'd buy this adapter at a high price. Especially if it had DVI-in as well! I'd through down $250 for that without thinking twice.

14. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Except I don't think that's for the 2011 models. They don't have MDP, only Thunderbolt.
    I really hope they do come up with something soon. I'd throw down a fair bit for it myself :p

15. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

All I am saying is that a wise consumer investigates ahead of time. And yes, I asked this question before I purchased. :D

16. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Did that, thanks. It would seem even the Apple Store employees are oblivious to this issue.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Lets clear up some things.

Apple doesn't care about PC users at all when it comes to displays. Thunderbolt Display is solely for Macs, although that may change in the future. However, even the old 27" ACD lacked things. E.g. brightness control was limited to Boot Camp drivers, meaning that PC users weren't able to adjust brightness. You can still buy one and use with your PC, but Apple's support is nonexistent.

iPad is totally different since it works without any other devices. Display requires a computer, otherwise it's a book weight.

It isn't Apple's fault, they never provided such adapters in the first place. Apple is not restricting the developers of such adapters either.

Reports have suggested that Intel isn't exactly open-minded about Thunderbolt and only few manufacturers have got access to Thunderbolt as of today. Why? Well, nobody knows. Apple shouldn't be part of this, it's purely between Intel and the OEMs.

The signal is still the same, regardless of the medium (copper vs optical). Hence this shouldn't be a concern, especially as Apple is the only one with Thunderbolt atm (Sony Vaio Z has optical LightPeak but AFAIK the Power Media Dock is the only device for it).

Most likely, Intel is behind this, and their unwillingness to share Thunderbolt tech.