Is it possible to use os 9.2 as main os in todays world?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ceezy3000, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

well my friend just got an iMac g3 for free, it has os 9.2 and he doesnt want to spend any money buying os x panther. hes going to be using this comp for his main comp (his first computer) my question is, is it possible to live with os 9 in todays world?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It wont run most modern applications made in the last 3 years, and no new applications after this year.

Internet security will be a joke, amongst other things. It wouldnt be hard or expensive for you to upgrade it yourself.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, if this is really his first computer... make sure to welcome him to 1999!

As this is his first computer, he's obviously a hermit, a redneck, a mountain man or some such, and so probably has very, very basic usage for the computer. There's fairly modern browsers for OS 9.2. Check here for links and information. That's all he'll really need. Email, all that stuff, is "in the cloud" after all.

4. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i guess hes just really poor, hes been living off the library all this time

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If he sticks to older applications why not. I guess he won't need anything more than a browser, mail, some kind of writing tool (textedit?) and maybe an old version of itunes...

6. California macrumors 68040

California

I have a copy of Microsoft Word for OS9 somewhere.

I think the problem with OS9 is that Internet Explorer for the Mac on 9 no longer works. He will have to upgrade to OSX if he needs the internet.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If all you want to do is browse the internet it will probably be fine except for viewing flash because the CPU is just not fast enough for that to run it smoothly. Try Mozilla or Netscape. Just don't expect to run too many programs at once unless the RAM has been upgraded or the HDD has been upgraded to 7200RPM. Also, don't expect to put much music or files on there as it probably came with about 4GB. Though it can be upgraded to 120GB.

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Couldn't he use netscape if one would find an OS 9 version of it?

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yep as described in ravenii's link.