Is it possible up grade the video ram on the unibodies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intellijel, Mar 19, 2009.

1. intellijel macrumors newbie

I am planning to get the low end 15" MBP unibody that has 256mb of GDDR3 video ram. Is possible to upgrade this at a later time?
    I am guessing it is soldered in and the card is integrated with the mobo....

2. intellijel thread starter macrumors newbie

then follow up question: how important is it to have 512 vs. 256?

The machine has 4gb of ram (which is tons imho).

I will be doing a ton of 3d cad work so I want to get good performance but I can't really afford to go for the more expensive model.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Filters in the future and some whiz-bang GUI stuff might not work in the future.

Sort of like the ripple-effect for widgets might not work on a low-end Leopard install. But at times people hack around these limits.

Usually nothing of import until some of the Pro-apps leave the older cards behind, but you'd probably be thinking of upgrading to a machine at that point anyhow.

Edit: if you run windows and play games, you'd likely see things quicker.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I would say that it's pretty important to get as much as you can if you're doing 3D modeling. We have some CAD files at our office that will bring a computer with less than 1GB of video ram to its knees.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it is 2X the memory which makes a huge difference to me on Pro Tools and that isnt necessarily a graphic intensive program.

6. intellijel thread starter macrumors newbie

really?? I do lot's of graphics work but my main use of computers has always been audio work. The graphics requirements of pro tools are fairly tiny, how would it need 512mb of dedicated memory to help it?

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dunno but a friend of mine has the uni 2.4ghz mbp and pro tools runs a lot smoother on mine than on his. it could be the cache difference tho cause he has 4gb of memory too so its not that.

8. lazydesi macrumors 6502

not possible

if you have some extra $ to spend go for topmodel

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

well if u ever wanted any type of game, most are 512 or more now