Is it racist not to expect Palestinians to demand peace?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 30, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Every day, everywhere, we hear Western celebrities, pontificators, blowhards, and various and sundry other pundits demanding that Israel cease their Gaza operations.

However, nobody demands that the Palestinian people rein-in Hamas and other terrorist organizations who are operating and sowing terror in the name of the Palestinian people. It seems that the dominant assumption is that, "Well, they are Arabs and we all pretty much expect terrorism, chaos, and suicide bombers from Arabs when they are oppressed. However, we expect much more from the more civilized Israelis."

Is expecting so little from the Palestinian people is a form of racism? Especially when there are many, many prominent Palestinians and other Arabs demanding unilateral disarmament of Hamas and other terror groups. They just don't have a voice in the Western media. I wonder.

Just a thought.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I believe you're hearing it here that people are asking that both Israel and Hamas be reined in. In fact, there's a thread with a number of people vocal about taking both to the ICC in the Hague for this.

BL.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It has little to do with racism or expectations of Palestinians, and a lot to do with the fact that Israel has our level of military but can't seem to figure out how to handle the Hamas situation.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nobody? Factually wrong and hyperbolic.

You sir, are perfect PRSI material.

5. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

You don't understand. The Palestinians don't think of Israel as a country; they think of Israel as occupiers. They strongly feel that the entire area is their land. The Palestinians think the Jews don't belong there.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plenty of members of the Israeli parliament think the Palestinians shouldn't be there.

7. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

The question is: who was living in the area called Israel before 1945 ? I find all kinds of different answers on the internet. Some people say the Palestinians were there first; some people say nobody was there and it was just a baron desert.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If it was truly a barren desert where did the Palestinians come from? That "theory" makes no sense at all and makes the people who said it sound like they want to forcibly remove all the Palestinians.

9. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

From your post I can tell spell check failed me again.

It'll tell me if I misspelled a word, but won't tell me which word to use. :eek:

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Israel should learn from the UK. As messy as the whole IRA vs UK battle was, it was ultimately a successful counter-insurgency because the UK (over time) used violence judiciously and brought the IRA into the existing political system. It is one of the few historical examples of defeating/co-opting a "terrorist" threat.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed. It's not perfect. But it has worked pretty well.

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Interesting inscription I just found on the internet:

"You take my water
    Burn my olive trees
    Destroy my house
    Take my job
    Steal my land
    Imprison my father
    Kill my mother
    Bomb my country
    Starve us all
    Humiliate us all
    But … I am to blame: I shot a rocket back."

13. Felasco Guest

You've raised a good question. Some things that come to mind...

First, most of the Arab world are dictatorships of one kind or another, so calling upon the people to do anything is kind of pointless, as they don't have much power. It's not clear to most of us what the real state of democracy in Palestine is at present.

Second, many people have some sympathy for the rocket fire upon Israel because it's not clear what else the Palestinians can do. The PLO has given up violence in favor of political dialog, and they've gotten very little for it. The West Bank is still occupied, Gaza is still tightly controlled, the settlements keep expanding. Point being, part of the Palestinian community has done pretty much just what you suggest, and it hasn't paid off for them.

Imho, the solution is for Israel to withdraw back in to it's original boundaries so that it will again be seen by everyone as a purely defensive force. If they are then attacked by Palestine or any other country, they would then be justified in releasing the full fury of their impressive abilities.

No negotiation or delay is required. Israel can simply unilaterally withdraw from all areas outside of the 1948 borders of Israel that they currently occupy or control. That burden lifted from their budgets, they can then focus exclusively on defending Israel.

If Israel were to do this, and then Hamas attacked again, I would support Israeli forces going house to house in Gaza until every member of Hamas is dead.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hamas isn't going to stop until Israel stops occupying Palestinian territory.

What Israel is doing now is no different than what the British Empire was doing with the American colonies.. they're occupying territory where they don't belong.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Sorry, the UN agrees with the Palestinians. Israel has been violating international law for decades.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they were both there before 1945.......and they're both still there. Both need to find a way to accept that fact and get on with life

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I couldn't agree more.

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

What?!

You mean they weren't supposed to keep the colonies they created?!

No what Hamas is doing right now is maybe what the Native Americans did to the American Immigrants.

And see how well that turned out for them? So Hamas and the Palestinians would be smart to find another way, because trying to beat a vastly superior military force militarily is never going to break their way.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They didn't create them. The first colonists came here to escape England and their religious persecution.

Then England started to expand over here and take over and expect the colonies to pay taxes to an occupying country without representation. Hamas is fighting to get back the land that made up Palestine before Israel invaded and began illegally occupying it after the six-day war.

I'm sure King George said the same thing about the continental army.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

No because Palestinians and Israelis are both caucasians. They're both different ethnic groups, but the same race. The term you're looking for is sectarianism. And that concludes our Grammar Nazism class for today.:D

Yeah, but the UN can't do a thing about it. That's because the military might of the UN (Team 'Murica: World Police) is on Israeli's side.

21. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Very well said. Sad unfortunately.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its much easier to do that in a world where you can get away with mass ethnic cleansing. Today everyone complains about the high civilian casualties, but they aren't enough to significantly damage the Palestinian population.

And yet the Afghan Mujahideen beat the Russians and the Vietcong beat the Americans.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A person by the name of G. A. Custer would seem to disagree with you, along with another man by the name of Sitting Bull.

BL.

24. Felasco, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

Felasco Guest

Do you guys not watch the news, or what?

The PLO converted from violence to political dialog, and the West Bank is still occupied, Gaza is still controlled, and the settlements are still expanding. What other way do you have in mind??

The rockets will keep coming from Hamas because they know from experience that the moment the rockets stop the whole world will yet again forget all about Gaza.

25. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

This, this, a million times: THIS