Is it really against the EULA to use OSX for missile systems?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shu82, Sep 15, 2008.

1. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I have heard some side rumors about this. I googled the heck out of it, and came up with nothing. Is this just a rumor? Is it against the EULA to do graphics for them on a mac, or write actual code? I was just wondering since a lot of people I know are mac users and do DOD stuff.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes.

THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE
    IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINESEQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Source

The reasoning behind it is in case of a crash, they cannot be held responsible for what goes wrong.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

lol wow that is some of the best ass covering ive ever seen!

Damn hippy thinking by a former (and current) hippy:D

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You could also be referring to this:

I remember there was some noise that the Powermac G4 couldn't be exported because its capacity to process over 1 billion instructions per second (1GFLOPS) qualified it as a supercomputer. Since powerful computers can be used to do things like compute missile trajectories and simulate conflict outcomes, such machines were considered munitions under U.S. export law.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And the lack of the Unix stamp, and Posix certification kept the Apple OS basically out of the more stringent spaces anyhow for years.

Now that they got the stamp, the ass covering is more of an issue.

6. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

Ah so its just regulating export. That's where all this came from. No problem with domestic use, right?

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't think so, but here's a link to the Leopard PDF. (PDF warning).

8. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

fixed.

lol, i don't know why i thought that was funny. i'm an ID10T

9. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

No nukes here. Besides all of that stuff is run on IBM servers. I was thinking development or graphics. I understand liability, I was just given the impression apple had something against missiles. Macs are few and far between lately, even at NASA.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm sure there's some at Apple who would prefer that some other OS be used to build weapons, but AFAIK there's no legal provision in the various EULAs.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Graphics/writing code on them should be fine. Mostly the EULA disclaimer is to prevent someone from making a Nuclear Reactor controller, or life support machinery using a Mac or something running OSX as part of the system which could result in injurly or death should the computer crash.

It's basically saying, we don't want to have to go though the rigorous reliability testing and effort to make our OS stable enough to use in those applications so don't use it for that. Using it to design a system that does those functions is fine, but the system itself should not have anything running OSX as an integral part of the system.