Is it really beneficial to go with the new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyc2pdx, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nyc2pdx macrumors 6502

I am currently using a 2010 15" MBP. Has served me well over the years, but I am looking to upgrade, mainly for the retina screen, and the slimmer profile.

I was hoping for a nice boost in battery time with the Haswell processors, but an hour is negligible.

I mainly use my mbp for coding when traveling: xcode, etc...I do all my testing on my 2012 iMac. I also use it for the normal stuff, and not for gaming.

Given the battery time is not significantly improved (1hr), I am wondering if I should just go with the last generation rMBP and potentially save some $$. I would look at doing 16gb RAM, i7...if I went with an older version.

Are there any significant changes that will affect a user like myself with the newest rMBP? I see a lot of negativity towards it in the forum-and people disappointed with the integrated video. How are the benchmarks new vs. last gen? Significant increase?

Thank you!

2. Caid macrumors newbie

I would go for the new models

Unless you are planning on getting something from E-Bay the old models are not significantly cheaper than the new ones.

If you want dedicated graphics the $2599 model includes the Nvidia 750m, that would be nice for games but the integrated iris graphics are really quite good. In Anandtech's benchmarks they are slower for gaming but most other users would not notice a difference.

I just ordered the new one, upgrading from a late 2008 MBP so it's going to be a BIG improvement over what I had!

Overall I agree that the difference between the old models and new is not that big but unless you can find the old models at a significant discount I would just get the new ones as Apple has lowered the price by about 200 dollars over the previous models retail price already.

3. nyc2pdx thread starter macrumors 6502

This is exactly the train of thought I had. Best Buy is discounting the older models so they are in line with the newer prices, but yeah, not noticing a huge savings. Thanks for your input!