Is it really even worth it for 4S owners to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

LTE - won't be widespread on AT&T for another year

Longer screen - meh :rolleyes:

Anything else really groundbreaking that will convince 4S owners to upgrade?

2. irDigital0l Guest

verizon...

Boom.

3. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

Stay tuned on 9/12 for the features before you make your decision! lol

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Considering NOTHING has been anounced yet about the next phone, how could anyone answer? With each phone in the past, there was (at least) one feature that wasn't known until it was announced. I think it's safe to say we don't know everything about what's coming in Sept.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    This is a premature thread stating that the OP is not excited about a phone that noone knows for sure what will or will not have.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If LTE is a big feature for you, then irDigital0l is right; having a LTE iPhone on Verizon will be awesome.

7. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

8. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon inflated prices...

Boom.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm fortunate to already be enjoying AT&Ts hi speed network via my Galaxy S III. We were one of the first areas they rolled it out in. Once everyone's on it, you'll see how much it adds to the experience. My wife's on Verizon LTE which is also quite good. Either is far better than 3G.

10. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure. It's easy to say LTE is good when it is everywhere... but that's just not happening with AT&T until the end of next year.

LTE on the new iPhone seems wasted for the majority of AT&T users.

11. therealjustin macrumors member

I haven't made my mind up yet because there could be a few really nice features but since my main reason to upgrade from my 4 would be a larger screen, the new iPhone does not check that box.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm not advocating for any carrier. That said, I have it from a good source that AT&T may get their network done by end of Q2-Q3 2013. If so, there'll be many satisfied users.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

My good source tells me otherwise. ;)

14. irDigital0l Guest

Same with AT&T...

boomer.

Go to Sprint or something lol...I really don't want to defend any company that really screws over customers.

15. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Me too... the LTE speeds in the Galaxy S3 is out of this world. With the iPhone I was always connected to my wifi but with the S3 I see it's faster over the LTE connection. The best is the upload speed. You see the difference when you upload a video to Youtube

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

True.

The Apple loving, long time loyalist, side of me dislikes having to admit the Galaxy S III is absolutely fantastic. It's everything I want in an iPhone today.

Much to my dismay, there's no sign Apple will catch up anytime soon. They are too determined to keep us locked into the current small form factor, frozen styling, and limited OS.

Nonetheless, just as I have for two decades, I'm hanging with Apple & will be around if & when they improve. Being the clever company they are, one can only wait & see.

17. monkor macrumors regular

You probably would've loved Italy in the 1920-1940's...

18. Fernandez21, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

hmm, lets see, larger higher quality screen, LTE, unibody design, gorilla glass 2, metal back, thinner, faster, nfc, and a better dock connector. I've already sold my iPhone 4S in anticipation, cant wait.

Disclaimer: Comments made on the bases of rumored iPhone 5/6 features, which in no way have been confirmed by Apple.

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

But if you're not using your phone everywhere, why does it matter? I use my phone almost exclusively in two markets where AT&T does have their LTE up and running so an LTE capable iPhone is a big deal for me and many others who already have it in their market. Everything else is just a bonus.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That made me smile in complete amazement... thinking "where did that come from" & "how did you know?"

Especially since it's been less than a year since I've visited Maranello, one of my all time favorite & frequent destinations. :D

21. fins831 macrumors 6502a

ATT just released LTE in my area on July 26th, so LTE is a possibility for me, but I need more as a 4S owner to upgrade....however, if I can upgrade and lock myself into unlimited data grandfathered in on ATT, then I might do it....because knowing ATT they will take it away eventually...or do something to screw us over.

I might do it to lock in a contract of LTE unlimited data if offered...because shared data can kiss my....lol

22. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

And a company that doesn't is? You do realize that Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and any other cell phone provider is out to get as much from us as they can?

23. gta50419 macrumors 6502

From what im seeing, It's not even worth upgrading for 4 users......
    If i didn't think syncing music to a s3 with a mac/itunes i'll probably get that.

24. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Too bad at least 95% of the 'iPhone 5' owners won't even have acces to LTE anytime in the near future.

25. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Most features in ios6 are going to be compatible with 4s, tr next iPhone would really need to have more than one groundbreaking feature to convince me to recontract.