Is it really so hard to market a screen protector pre-cut to fit cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Vesian, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Vesian macrumors member

Yes, I know cases come in all shapes and sizes, but honestly, i've been thinking about this. A large number of cases that slightly cover the front of the iPhone 4 (you know, so you can place the iPhone face down) are about the same size. Would it not be difficult for a screen-protector company to create a pre-cut protector that fits inside this area, thus completely solving bubbling issues?

I recently cut my own protector to make it fit with my incase slider and, well...let's just say the results left much to be desired. Has anyone experimented with this? Surely I can't be the only iPhone 4 owner that desires the protection of a case alongside the scratch protection a screen protector offers...

2. ilovegoodnugz macrumors regular

Actually probably none of the different cases are the same size, although imperceptible to you now, if a screen protector company pre-cut a slightly smaller screen protector and it didn't line up exactly with YOUR specific case you would be on here complaining how there is a gap between screen protector and case, so its just better for the manufacturer to hedge their bets and assume you would be using a screen protector that covers the entirety of your screen.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

Try they ClearCal protectors at radtech.us. I am in St Louis, so I picked some up from their store locally. I am very pleased, and found that they are cut slightly smaller than the Power Support and all other brands I have tried. Thus, they fit inside cases like the Incase Slider just fine without bubbling. You can actually install the screen protector while the case is one the phone. for 13 bucks you get 2 sets of front and back protectors.

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

so you want a universal standard from 3rd party companies

right

:facepalm:

5. Vesian thread starter macrumors member

calvy: Thanks!

ItsJust: Does that statement really merit a facepalm? Is there really that much different in how much of the front of the iphone cases cover? Furthermore, would it really be so difficult to sell cuts of screen protectors that would fit inside of that?

and no, I would not be here complaining about the areas of the screen that such a screen protector would not cover. I've already scratched my iphone via light use and custom made a protector to fit my application and was simply asking a question that has been on my mind for a while. Sheesh.

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Your original post is just stupid ( sorry I tried to think of a better term, but you're complaining + being ignorant at the same time = stupid seemed to fit well )

There are dozens of cases, each with different materials, different degrees of how much they cover the case, different degrees of "intended protection" and different amounts of quality control needed

having to adopt universal standards = increased cost for quality control + would limit the kind of cases we would see in the market

The best example I can think of would that is similar to your complaint would be like : Why aren't all plastic silverware the exact same size

7. simple20 macrumors regular

I've 5 different cases, and I switch between 3 often, and I've never had an issue with my screen protectors.