Is It Risky To Use A Version Of Mac OS X That Is Not Being Supported Anymore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pedro D, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Pedro D macrumors newbie

After Mac OS X 10.4 will stop being supported, will it still be safe to use it afterwards? Will it still be secure or receive security updates? Is it bad to keep on using a Mac OS X operating system after it is stopped being supported? What are the risks if we keep on using Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger after it is not being supported anymore? Will it still be secure after it is not being supported anymore? What are some of the risks of using an operating system from Apple after it is stopped being supported? Will it be possible to get viruses, spy-ware, and root-kits from an operating system from Apple after it is stopped being supported?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

currently there are few such concerns. however the trend is not promising, and after apple stop supporting it, you probably will need to rely on some third party companies

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think in this situation, a policy like the one Canonical tries to implement is excellent. Canonical designates some releases of its OS as "long term support" editions for which they promise support for an extended (although still finite) number of years, rather than the "last two" kind of philosophy that is more typical with MS and Apple (e.g. supporting Tiger and Leopard on Apple's side and Windows XP and Vista on MS's side).

4. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

But isn't it true that hackers want to exploit the latest and greatest system everyone is using, and you would actually be a little safer using Tiger when it goes obsolete?

And how come my picture isn't showing up? It's the right size and all.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Several of the recently discussed exploits work on Leopard but push all the way back to Tiger. Ironically, hackers offer better backwards compatibility than Apple does. :eek:

And if you're talking aout your profile picture, it's in your profile -- you are not eligible to have an avatar (picture to the left of your posts) at this time. For more information, please review the users' FAQ, accessible from any forum page via the FAQ/Rules link in the upper left.

6. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

And what do you mean by "hackers offer better backwards compatibility than Apple does"??

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just to let you know, it should be thank you kind man. :)

9. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek: I am so sorry I just assumed he was a lady because of the pretty butterfly picture.

10. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

mkrishnan What do you mean by "hackers offer better backwards compatibility than Apple does"??

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry that just made me laugh lol:)

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

He's cracking a joke in that hacks sometimes work on both Tiger and Leopard but much proper software doesn't.

13. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

Your Welcome:) It wasn't meant to make anyone laugh anyway but laughing is nice:)

14. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

You people confuse me. I don't understand a thing mkrishnan and flopticalcube said.

15. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I think it is still secure. Same thing happened with Windows XP. It has been abandoned and still being sold by computer manufacturer as the operating system to choose from.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In essence. Upgrade your computer. Or don't. Believe you'll be safer. Or don't. How can we predict what will happen when there have been few viruses or exploits for OS X in the past decade?

Think about it whichever way you like. We don't really care. Apple expects you to upgrade. ;)

17. Pedro D thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I would upgrade if Snow Leopard supports 32-Bit and if I had the money.

18. Amdahl macrumors 65816

MS doesnt't play that game. All products have a fixed -- lengthy -- support timeline.

No, they have not abandoned XP. It gets support until 2014. Win2K will lose support in July 2010.

19. SSkky Reader macrumors newbie

SSkky Reader

It should be supported, it takes apple quite sometime to discontinue support for an OS, though they will say "You should up-grade" if you have problems that a newer OS already address's. Tiger is a solid OS any IMO. Apple up-grades are the least expensive, I personally believe everyone should up-grade to a new OS when it's available (I'm only referring to APPLE).

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wonder if WinXP will be extended past that time frame like Win98?

With Vista, many have kept using WinXP instead of upgrading.

As to the OP's question, it is very hard to predict the future regarding malware. One of the more safe platforms today is Win98. It's simply so old that most malware creators don't bother with it.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

But that isn't actually the case. Security updates handle vulnerabilities, that is there might be a possibility that a hacker could write code that attacks your computer successfully. That doesn't even mean it _is_ actually possible - when you find a vulnerability, you just fix it, you don't waste your time to see if it is possible to exploit.

An actual exploit might have to be written very, very specifically for the operating system in use. For example, there have been vulnerabilities that applied to Windows, MacOS X and Linux, but obviously any one exploit would only work against one of them. There is no reason to believe that an exploit written for Leopard would work on Tiger.