Is it safe to assume that iPhone 4 cases will fit the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by javiwankenobi, Oct 9, 2011.

1. javiwankenobi macrumors member

Is it safe to assume that iPhone 4 cases will fit the 4S?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, it isn't.

3. MagnusF macrumors regular

Verizon cases yes

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Most likely Verizon cases only. The 4S uses the CDMA iPhone design since it's a world phone.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

6. tanster macrumors regular

tanster

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

proximity

it appears that the proximity sensor has moved. Now, if you have a case with no real front that probably isn't a problem, but some of the cases with a front pass through for that won't work. there are some otterboxes that are like that.

8. xraytech macrumors 68030

No not safe. Any case made before the release of the Verizon's iPhone 4 will probably not fit.

I have a later version of the iPhone 4 Speck PixelSkin HD that fits both CDMA & GSM. So I'm good to go.

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

On the Apple Site:

iPhone 4 Bumper
    Important note: iPhone 4 Bumpers are compatible only with iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. They will not work with any other iPhone model.

For some reason, I find this hard to believe. Hopefully its true. I have 2 backups for my iPhone 4, in case one of mine rips/tears or falls apart.

10. BuckDot macrumors member

Depends on the case... I'm pretty sure the Verizon cases were made to fit both the CDMA and GSM phone... if your iP4 case is newer it's probably designed to fit both.

11. zsquared macrumors newbie

12. BIG-MAC macrumors newbie

No they will not fit, I work for one of the carriers and we been instructed to not sell old cases with new iPhone 4s.

13. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

you can't be seriously using a webpage to get exact or even reasonable dimensions of a product

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Actually, that picture is quite accurate. I wouldn't build a case from it, but it does illustrate clearly that some cases may not work on all models. So to answer the op, no, it is not safe.... Bwahahahahahaha.... :D

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

So this shows the mute button shift, but also the volume buttons appear to have moved considerably. How can Apple say the bumper will fit "only the 4 and 4S"? How can a case with replicas of the buttons fit over the buttons on both phones?

16. oiuh151, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Anything that appears different is simply because of the different types of images that were used to compare.

As for the OP, any case that will fit the Verizon iPhone 4 will fit the 4S. Avoid cases that only fit the AT&T iPhone 4.

Err, why do you find this hard to believe?

The bumper was updated when the Verizon iPhone was released to fit both the AT&T and Verizon model. The 4S has the same design as the Verizon iPhone so therefore it will fit.

17. Skream macrumors member

Don't know about other manufacturers but Lifeproof uses the same case for the 4 and 4S

18. Mitchie macrumors newbie

yes

----------

I am buying this case from eBay it's a lifeproof waterproof case for the 4s can it fit the iphone 4

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Seriously? Way to bring back a 2.5 year old thread about the iPhone 4/4S. We are almost at the iPhone 5S/6...

I don't get it.. Why are newbies always bringing back really old threads?

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why do people complain when people search? More people should do so. If you're not interested in the thread then don't click on it and don't post in it. Posting in it isn't the way to let it die.

21. cynics macrumors G4

This is a very very specific case. It HAS to be the right one because there is no leeway.

If your iPhone 4 is a Verizon iPhone 4 it will "probably" fit (and don't hold me too that). If its a GSM iPhone 4 then no.

Personally I would just stop the transaction now if you can and order the right case.

22. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

In Europe yes, every iphone 4 case fits the 4S. I had both iphones and all of my cases fitted.

23. hafr macrumors 68030

It's not about complaining about people searching, it's about complaining about people reviving several year old threads without adding anything whatsoever to it.