Is it "safe" to buy 12" now?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dennis88, May 14, 2003.

  1. dennis88 macrumors member

    May 13, 2003
    I'm wondering if it's smart or "safe" to buy a 12" powerbook now?

    How many fps does it perform in warcraft 3 and medal of honor on settings at high?

  2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000


    Jan 20, 2003
    iBook or PB?

    I'm contemplating an iBook...but afraid to pull the trigger...
  3. dennis88 thread starter macrumors member

    May 13, 2003
  4. alxths macrumors 6502

    Apr 3, 2003
    I'm looking to buy a 12" pbook as well, the only thing keeping me is that L2 cache... I guess having that 128 megs of RAM BUILT IN is a pain also. I'm crossing my fingers for these things to be updated in teh next revision. Also, when possible you should really try to avoid buying first generation products.. It's a good idea to wait for them to work the bugs out.
    So, if you can stand waiting for rev B, it could really be worth your while.
  5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816


    Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm personally waiting for the second generation 12" PowerBooks. My hope is that they'll up the processor to 1 GHz, or perhaps 1.25 GHz, or maybe I'll get lucky and they'll start fitting them with PPC 970. I also want to see if they'll make the SuperDrive 2x for DVD-R and 16x for CD-R; I've been spoilt by the 48x on my PC. And hopefully they'll modify it so the 128 RAM chip isn't soddered to the motherboard, and open up a second slot so you can up it 1 GB. And an 80 GB hard drive would be nice. And slightly increased resolution. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

    Whatever revisions they do make, I hope they release it at WWDC or August at the latest. It would be nice to have when I go back to school.
  6. yzedf macrumors 65816


    Nov 1, 2002
    I expect 1GHz G4 with 2x DVD-R and hopefully 24x CD-R and the same screen stuck at 1024*768 (it is same screen as 12" iBook after all). Probably still no L3 cache :( I presume 80GB hdd would be a BTO option too. If they do get rid of the 128MB built in, it would only be to offer 256MB soldered in... :rolleyes:
  7. frozenstar macrumors regular

    Jan 6, 2003
    Well, you can forget about the 970 in the Rev B. And since you're already waiting for the Rev B, you might as well wait for the Rev C which will most likely incorporate the 970.
    I've got a Rev A, and it's beautiful. I just love it. I'll probably sell it though when the Rev C w/ 970 comes out.
    My suggestion... if you like the 12" PowerBook, then just buy it now. There is no point in waiting 'till late summer to buy one when you know it's gonna get fitted with a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM early next year.
  8. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    I assume you'd buy the PB with all your wishes even if it costs more?

    Once such a machine comes out and costs $400 more, are you going to wish for a lower price then?

    If you want a machine now, get one now. Because when the next Rev. comes out, there'll be something else you'll want and it's basically an endless cycle. Get a machine you like when it's a machine you can actually purchase. Then, enjoy the fact you have a computer you can play/work with instead of agonizing/dreaming/waiting about a ficticious computer you don't have, may never have or isn't exactly what you want when it finally comes out.

    I got my 12" in early Feb. It's fantastic and the months I've had it and the enjoyment I got out of it will be worth so much more than the updates the next revision will carry after waiting a long time for them.

    I wouldn't count on a revised 12" anytime soon, btw. 15" needs an update first.
  9. dennis88 thread starter macrumors member

    May 13, 2003
    About the 12" pb.
    Is it fast?
    Is it good at multitasking?

    Can it handle that you watch a dvd movie while your browsing the net with 640mb ram?
    And can the 12"pb play warcraft 3 without choppiness, at mid to high settings?

    My only worry with the 12"pb is the geforce 420go.
    But if I can play warcraft 3, cm4, medal of honor and quake3 on the move, with good fps, then I'm more than happy.

    Can someone with a 12" tell me how well it performs in these games?

    And which case would you recomend for the 12"?

    Thanks! :)
  10. yogi477 macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2002
    Champ Man

    Champ Man runs pretty good on my 12"PB, easily comparable with my mates Vaio but I dunno about when compared with say a 17" PB
  11. BubbaTAC macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2002
    I switched form a 2Ghz machine with 512k of problems with speed and multitasking. I like the speed (and drive speed) because I think much more would be hard to put in a package this awesome and small...I haven't upgraded the ram yet (still at 256) cause when rev B comes out, I wmight get jealous and will want to add something :)

    Don't will just wait forever. They upgrade so often that it will never be the best time. is it safe now? yes.
    Can you be sure they won't upgrade it right after you buy it? no, but you nver will, unless you buy it on release day for a huge price premium or wait weeks for it to be shipped to you, then they will upgrade right after you receive it.

    IT is a good machine now. I don't ever regret it

Share This Page