Is it safe to charge my 2018 MBP like this ?

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I have this wire:

upload_2018-11-19_18-41-14.png

Is it safe to plug it like this to charge the MBP ?
upload_2018-11-19_18-41-41.png

I don't think it's a problem but my concern is that it's written '2.5 A' in the black wire, I think it means Amps, So any idea ?

Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm not an expert on electricity, but my personal opinion is I would NOT use anything but the original charging hardware on a brand new Mac (with the exception of a high quality dock that has built-in charging through the USB-C dock cable)... If something happens and your Mac does get damaged by a power surge Apple will not cover the damage on your machine if they were to see you didn't use the proper charger.

Why risk it on a computer that is worth well over $1000?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Because I bought the MBP from US and now I am in a different country that use the same power prog like shown in the first picture.
There's no reason it wouldn't work fine. If you have the option to use a grounded outlet with the proper Apple power cord for your country, that'd be preferable, however.

Reactions: Painter2002

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Ok, welp looks like you have your answer then. If you already confidently know the cord you have will work, then why bother asking on a forum?

Not trying to be rude but I already understand that there isn't a fundamental difference between the two cords, but was just advising that on such an expensive device, why not spend the extra bit to use the one that is specifically designed for your computer? It gives you zero liability in a repair case should your computer have issues, whereas a manufacturer will decline any warranty repairs if they find your aren't using the proper cord.

But that's just my two cents, apparently not what you were looking for though. Best of luck and hope the cord works out for you!
I'm not the OP.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
I have this wire:

View attachment 805190
Is it safe to plug it like this to charge the MBP ?
View attachment 805192

I don't think it's a problem but my concern is that it's written '2.5 A' in the black wire, I think it means Amps, So any idea ?
That small white removable piece has a breaker that pops and sacrifices itself if a power surge occurs so it doesn’t send the over voltage through killing expensive electronics. That’s why it’s replaceable and removable.
It will work just hope you don’t get a power spike.

rawrmcrawrrawr

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
It's completely safe. Don't worry about that 2.5 Amp rating. The black wire is rated 2.5A at 240V. That's well over the 87W needed by the power adapter.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Oh my bad, my apologies. Lol. I will update my response, for some reason I thought it was OP being smart back at me (there are a few of those on these forums).
It's fine, You did help me though because I am interested about that adaptor kit (for other case) you posted before.

Though your post got deleted already but it's still there in comment #8, chrfr can delete it by editing his post.

Also even I am the OP I can't delete other posts in my thread.
[doublepost=1542709027][/doublepost]
That small white removable piece has a breaker that pops and sacrifices itself if a power surge occurs so it doesn’t send the over voltage through killing expensive electronics. That’s why it’s replaceable and removable.
It will work just hope you don’t get a power spike.
This is new for me, Thanks for mentioning this.