Is it safe to leave the original screen and back protector iPhone 5 came with?

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I am leaving it on for now until my new screen protector comes in by Friday.

I plan to leave the original back protector until my new one comes in the following week.

Is this safe for the screen and back?

Will the heat from charging mess something up?

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
It's safe to leave on, but hideous... and are you planning on making zero calls in the meantime? You can barely hear anything with the plastic over the earpiece.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I am leaving it on for now until my new screen protector comes in by Friday.

I plan to leave the original back protector until my new one comes in the following week.

Is this safe for the screen and back?

Will the heat from charging mess something up?
it's not safe, your iphone will turn into a galaxy s3 and implode.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
All jokes aside, yes, it's safe. When I got the iPhone 4S, I left the front and back protectors on for almost 2 weeks while I awaited shipment of a case I ordered. I (VERY FRIGGIN CAREFULLY) exacto-knifed the front one around the earpiece and proximity sensor. It was butt-ugly, but it did the job.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I've had mine since Friday. Two national parks, I've fallen on it, and no screen protector. Not a scratch. It's a phone, folks, not a newborn baby. Stop coddling it and go outside and use it. Jeesh.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
It's fine. I actually leave the back one on. I lift the edge of it around the camera on the back and cut a piece for the lens and flash before putting the case on. The front I take off. I've had every single iPhone and have yet to scratch the glass.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Why are you guys so cautious with your phones??
It's hard to explain. The thing is so good looking I want to keep it that way. Any scratch or ding would hurt. It's like buying a brand new SL 600 black off the lot. Paint went, chrome shoes shining, them some butt not paying attention dings it with their cart at Macy's. You would want to SCREAM.

youspork

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Yes, I have a couple of friends that did that and it looks bad, but gives decent protection until your stuff comes in.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
There's gotta be a time when someone calls you or you have to use your cellphone as a phone.
Its safe to leave them both on but make a hole on the ear speaker plastic piece or just use speaker phone if you need to talk on the phone.
Great idea on the speakerphone. I'm getting the new protector by Friday so I'll be set. Thanks.

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
It's hard to explain. The thing is so good looking I want to keep it that way. Any scratch or ding would hurt. It's like buying a brand new SL 600 black off the lot. Paint went, chrome shoes shining, them some butt not paying attention dings it with their cart at Macy's. You would want to SCREAM.
I guess growing up as an only child I never really took care of my things lol.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Isn't it kinda pointless to have this good-looking thing, and then hide that by putting some butt-ugly case on it?

JayMosEnvied

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
It's safe to keep on until you find the right screen protector. With the back I left it on. Just make a cut around camera so it can capture the best quality photo.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I found the default screen protectors to be stretched taut over the home button below the screen. It made it very hard to press down and engage the home button without getting the screen protector to go beyond its elastic limit and have an ugly sag around the button.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I did the same knowing my screen protector was coming in early this week. When I was getting a case on Saturday I took the phone into the store with the box in my purse so it wouldn't get scratched. The guy was going to put the case on and went to take the protector off and I asked him to leave it. Told him I was going to cut out a piece on the front and back until the screen protector arrived. He said it wasn't a good idea because of the heat of using it. Then another salesman took his out of his pocket and took a pen and swiped it across the screen a few times to show me how durable it is. I have a neoprene sleeve that came with my ereader so I put the phone in that in my purse until my Spigen came today. I don't know if he was right or not.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
My case came today. My phone will be thicker with it than my 4 was with it's less durable case, but even though it is thicker than my existing Nexus phone, it looks like it will fit fine in my front pocket.

The problem I've had in the past is the phone would slide out too easily, and end up on the floor.

This is the most expensive phone I've ever purchased. The top end iPhone. I want it to hold up.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
People are funny. My brother hasn't even activated his phone yet because he's waiting for his otterbox case to come in, lol