Is it safe to leave the original screen and back protector iPhone 5 came with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I am leaving it on for now until my new screen protector comes in by Friday.

I plan to leave the original back protector until my new one comes in the following week.

Is this safe for the screen and back?

Will the heat from charging mess something up?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It's safe to leave on, but hideous... and are you planning on making zero calls in the meantime? You can barely hear anything with the plastic over the earpiece.

3. bova80 macrumors 6502a

it's not safe, your iphone will turn into a galaxy s3 and implode.

4. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never make calls. Only text and email.

----------

Haha funny joke. I take it it's safe.

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

<3 that made my day.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

All jokes aside, yes, it's safe. When I got the iPhone 4S, I left the front and back protectors on for almost 2 weeks while I awaited shipment of a case I ordered. I (VERY FRIGGIN CAREFULLY) exacto-knifed the front one around the earpiece and proximity sensor. It was butt-ugly, but it did the job.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've had mine since Friday. Two national parks, I've fallen on it, and no screen protector. Not a scratch. It's a phone, folks, not a newborn baby. Stop coddling it and go outside and use it. Jeesh.

8. auero macrumors 65816

It's fine. I actually leave the back one on. I lift the edge of it around the camera on the back and cut a piece for the lens and flash before putting the case on. The front I take off. I've had every single iPhone and have yet to scratch the glass.

9. Matt8045 macrumors regular

Why are you guys so cautious with your phones??

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm changing it soon and haven't taken pics yet

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's gotta be a time when someone calls you or you have to use your cellphone as a phone.
    Its safe to leave them both on but make a hole on the ear speaker plastic piece or just use speaker phone if you need to talk on the phone.

13. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's hard to explain. The thing is so good looking I want to keep it that way. Any scratch or ding would hurt. It's like buying a brand new SL 600 black off the lot. Paint went, chrome shoes shining, them some butt not paying attention dings it with their cart at Macy's. You would want to SCREAM.

14. youspork macrumors newbie

Yes, I have a couple of friends that did that and it looks bad, but gives decent protection until your stuff comes in.

15. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great idea on the speakerphone. I'm getting the new protector by Friday so I'll be set. Thanks.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    My screen protectors just came in today that I ordered on ebay.
    So I did the same as you, I like my iphone scratch free and looking nice too.

17. Matt8045 macrumors regular

I guess growing up as an only child I never really took care of my things lol.

18. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Isn't it kinda pointless to have this good-looking thing, and then hide that by putting some butt-ugly case on it?

19. JayMosEnvied macrumors member

JayMosEnvied

It's safe to keep on until you find the right screen protector. With the back I left it on. Just make a cut around camera so it can capture the best quality photo.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I found the default screen protectors to be stretched taut over the home button below the screen. It made it very hard to press down and engage the home button without getting the screen protector to go beyond its elastic limit and have an ugly sag around the button.

21. chele519 macrumors regular

I did the same knowing my screen protector was coming in early this week. When I was getting a case on Saturday I took the phone into the store with the box in my purse so it wouldn't get scratched. The guy was going to put the case on and went to take the protector off and I asked him to leave it. Told him I was going to cut out a piece on the front and back until the screen protector arrived. He said it wasn't a good idea because of the heat of using it. Then another salesman took his out of his pocket and took a pen and swiped it across the screen a few times to show me how durable it is. I have a neoprene sleeve that came with my ereader so I put the phone in that in my purse until my Spigen came today. I don't know if he was right or not.

22. kevink2 macrumors 65816

My case came today. My phone will be thicker with it than my 4 was with it's less durable case, but even though it is thicker than my existing Nexus phone, it looks like it will fit fine in my front pocket.

The problem I've had in the past is the phone would slide out too easily, and end up on the floor.

This is the most expensive phone I've ever purchased. The top end iPhone. I want it to hold up.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Nothing wrong with wanting to take good care of one's property. Some more so than others.

24. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Do you not make phone calls? lol it covers the speaker.

25. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

People are funny. My brother hasn't even activated his phone yet because he's waiting for his otterbox case to come in, lol