Is it safe to listen to music with my iPhone in the rain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

While it's in my pocket? Im not sure if the new headphones (with that little control) are safe to take around in the rain, and i was hearing that people were falsely getting water damage or something with the older phones. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. pattoniscool macrumors member

Sure, I swim with mine all the time, the great thing about iPhones is that they are waterproof.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

No! Don't listen to him...

I've had to replace my iPhone because I had them out in the rain too long and then they started intermittently shutting off shortly afterwards. It's okay to use them in the rain, just don't have it out too long to change the song.

4. chox99 macrumors regular

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'm sure it's fine to use in the rain as long as it is not directly exposed to the water...or maybe get an otterbox...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even if its for a second on light rain.
    If a drop of water gets on the water sensor either at the top headphone jack or on the bottom where the speaker is the sensor will turn red and warranty is void.

7. daphuon2 macrumors member

The headphones and the cord should be fine as long as the phone itself isn't exposes to the elements. I listen to my iPhone when snowboarding, and I fell loads of times. The iPhone itself is zipped up in a waterproof jacket with the cord sticking out.

8. Switz213 macrumors 6502

If this did happen and you were careful, and you went to them and said: "It was during normal use, that's your fault." And were persistent and fought it. You could get them to replace it. Some people had their 3Gs replaced because of sweat damage whilst talking on the phone and working out.

9. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

hardy har har that was funny
    made my 10 minutes
    one time i dropped my 3g in the toilet filled with bile from a long night of who-haing and scadeladooing and then after rinsing it in the sink and letting it soak for a while i went for brisk nude jog on a fine summer morning in the rain and dropped my iphone in a pile of leaves and could not find it so i dont know if the rain or the bile broke it
    sorry i cant help this time

10. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah, i remember the days when i could use a cell phone in the rain. guess not anymore.

11. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

x2

also have used the phone to browse the web in very light rain...just wiped the little droplets off the screen, as long as you don't drop the phone in the toilet you'll be ok.

a lot of people baby their iphones, which is understandable because it is a gorgeous device. but really its more sturdy than most other phones out there

12. alFR macrumors 68020

If only there was some way of having an extra set of controls separate from the phone to let you change tracks, answer calls etc. while keeping it safe and dry in your pocket. Maybe some sort of remote control. Oh, hang on... ;)

13. sixmac macrumors member

i have put two separate sets of the headphones with the clicker through the wash yes two sets :D, fist set was totally fine, second set the mic broke but the clicker worked still. I'd say pretty waterproof :)

EDIT: the apple in ear headphones

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Just wrap it in Saran Wrap. For anything but a torrential downpour, that's all the rain protection you should need! I do it all the time and it works great.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I tried that once with aluminum foil and it didn't work nearly as well.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Umm, last I heard the water sensors aren't in the earphones. And the easiest to set off one is in the headphone jack. So if you're listening to music WITH the earphones plugged in...guess what? The water sensor is protected.

As long as the phone itself isn't exposed to rain it's fine. Rain is no deterrent to my music habits, unless it's pouring with and I'm without my umbrella.

Stuff only gets wet, then something wet touches it.