is it safe to put a nail coating on the chamfer?

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
i have a perfect white iPhone 5, the chamfer is really shiny and beautiful, but it attracts a lot of finger prints.

is it safe to put a nail coating on the chamfer? so it will keep shining and protect from finger prints?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So I don't have too much experience with the white iPhone 5, but are you really talking about the chamfer and you get fingerprints on it? Because I don't seem to get fingerprints on the chamfer of my black iP5.

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
yes chamfer. u dont easily see that on the black chamfer. but i prefer the white because the shinier chamfer makes it looks like a diamond.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
Chemistry

...is it safe to put a nail coating on the chamfer?
I would say "Not Safe" just because Nail Coating - I presume this is a transparent Nail varnish - contains solvents (such as acetone, butyl acetate or ethyl acetate) which evaporate leaving the hard nitrocellulose coating. The solvents may attack, embrittle, discolour other components of the phone. I'm sure in the user-manual it says not to use solvents?

if you somehow successfully painted just the chamfer, over time the hard coating would chip-away, become a bit messy, maybe attract fluff or bacteria. Then you'd have to strip it and this involves more volatile solvents and potentially bad chemistry?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I would say "Not Safe" just because Nail Coating - I presume this is a transparent Nail varnish - contains solvents (such as acetone, butyl acetate or ethyl acetate) which evaporate leaving the hard nitrocellulose coating. The solvents may attack, embrittle, discolour other components of the phone. I'm sure in the user-manual it says not to use solvents?

if you somehow successfully painted just the chamfer, over time the hard coating would chip-away, become a bit messy, maybe attract fluff or bacteria. Then you'd have to strip it and this involves more volatile solvents and potentially bad chemistry?
Yikes. Thanks for the chemistry lesson; that's interesting stuff!

yes chamfer. u dont easily see that on the black chamfer. but i prefer the white because the shinier chamfer makes it looks like a diamond.
BodyGuardz skins cover the edges. Makes them feel sharper & more severe in a way, but they're covered nonetheless.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I would not. What happens where the polish becomes aged and discolors, how will you remove it.:rolleyes:

aleni

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
im going to try it on my silver shiny ring first. and let's see what happens in a few weeks.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'd do a body skin instead. Clear nail polish is going to be uneven, chip, and look gloppy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.