is it safe to put a nail coating on the chamfer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aleni, Oct 3, 2012.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

i have a perfect white iPhone 5, the chamfer is really shiny and beautiful, but it attracts a lot of finger prints.

is it safe to put a nail coating on the chamfer? so it will keep shining and protect from finger prints?

2. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Safer alternative is a protective cover from a company like Zagg ... They come with a lifetime replacement.

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

doesnt cover the edge

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So I don't have too much experience with the white iPhone 5, but are you really talking about the chamfer and you get fingerprints on it? Because I don't seem to get fingerprints on the chamfer of my black iP5.

5. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

yes chamfer. u dont easily see that on the black chamfer. but i prefer the white because the shinier chamfer makes it looks like a diamond.

6. CH34P3T macrumors regular

Clear coat on the chamfer huh? Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll try that after I plasti dip my phone. :D

7. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Chemistry

I would say "Not Safe" just because Nail Coating - I presume this is a transparent Nail varnish - contains solvents (such as acetone, butyl acetate or ethyl acetate) which evaporate leaving the hard nitrocellulose coating. The solvents may attack, embrittle, discolour other components of the phone. I'm sure in the user-manual it says not to use solvents?

if you somehow successfully painted just the chamfer, over time the hard coating would chip-away, become a bit messy, maybe attract fluff or bacteria. Then you'd have to strip it and this involves more volatile solvents and potentially bad chemistry?

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yikes. Thanks for the chemistry lesson; that's interesting stuff!

BodyGuardz skins cover the edges. Makes them feel sharper & more severe in a way, but they're covered nonetheless.

9. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I would not. What happens where the polish becomes aged and discolors, how will you remove it.:rolleyes:

10. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

im going to try it on my silver shiny ring first. and let's see what happens in a few weeks.

11. tl01 macrumors 65816

I'd do a body skin instead. Clear nail polish is going to be uneven, chip, and look gloppy.

12. wytwolf macrumors regular

With nail polish remover...... ;)

13. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

While we at it why not use some industrial strength airplane stripper ... :rolleyes:

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wouldn't do it if I were you. I'm thinking this is not a good combo for your phone.