Is it safe to say that you cando a LOT more with a mouse on Windows than you can Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by enzo thecat, Apr 22, 2010.

1. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

I just bought my first Mac (powerbook pro i7). Still not sure I like the change. One of the frustrations is that I have to use all of the Command and option shortcuts to do things that were easily done with a click of the mouse before. I am using the touch ad and I also bought a magic mouse but they both function exactly the same.

I miss being able to do things like:
    highlight something and RIGHT CLICK to copy and past. I see that I can move text in a window, but I cant right click to copy and past into new windows, programs etc.

Also, I can't just click to open a new tab in safari or a new window for that matter. I am coming here for suggestions. Maybe I have to change the settings or there is something simple I am not getting. I have searched for her and the internet for help, but the specific solutions I am describing are not covered.

2. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

Firstly, you can use any two or three button mouse on the Mac, it works fine. Usually, if a mac-specific driver has been provided by the mouse maker, you can specify lots of different functionality for each button.
    With the magic mouse, you just need to explore the mouse options in the system preferences panel. There are many options there.
    So no, generally, it is not safe to say that.:p
    Have fun.

3. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

There was always going to be a period of adjustment. As the previous poster says, if you look into it you'll find there's loads you can do with a mouse on a Mac, including setting it just how you want it.

Personally, I find using the cmd+whatever key for copy,paste,new tab,new window etc. alot more intuitive and it feels more natural to me. Give yourself time to get used to it ;)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

A powerbook i7? Never heard of such a thing. Powerbooks used PPC processors.

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I would say that the context-sensitive menus are less bloated on OS X than Windows, but I guess that's a matter of preference.

8. redchannel macrumors regular

redchannel

I can not stand using the magic mouse. I'm using a Logitech MX Performance Mouse with my Mac.

It's ergonomically friendly.
    All the buttons are customizable and can be assign specific key strokes.
    Works on Glass
    Has rechargeable batteries.

9. redchannel macrumors regular

redchannel

I also use Firefox on my mac as my primary browser, even though safari tends to be slightly faster from my experience, Firefox has a few features ( all ready set up) that make it a lot faster for me.

It's got a feature where you can type in a partial subject in the URL bar and it will pull up a history of websites you've gone to if you don't remember the website.

There is a button to add a new tab right next to your current tab. A simple time saver faster then a few clicks on the menu bar...

10. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

Sorry. Its a macbook pro. Ordered from apple and got it Monday. Antiglare screen and I maxed out everything on it except the SSD hardrive. Just got the 7200rpm.

11. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

Thanks for this. I will download firefox as soon as I get home. So far, I hate safari.

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

Wash your mouth out with soap! How dare you say such things about safari! :eek:
    I used to run FF on my MBP, but ever since i went to SL, i haven't used anything but safari and i really like it.

13. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used Safari. Chrome ftw.