Is it safe to update a 2G to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak/unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chiefroastbeef, May 6, 2010.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hello guys,

Quick story: My father lost his 3G, then bought a 3GS at ATT without knowing it cannot be unlocked for use in HK, so now he is using his old 2G(from ATT I believe) jailbroken and unlocked. However, the phone is suffering from dropped calls, so I am thinking of updating his firmware.

If I update to 3.1.3, will it update its baseband as well and lock the phone again for whatever reason? I am just afraid that updating the 2G will cause the phone to be locked forever, and cannot be used with his Hong Kong carrier.

Verson: 2.1 (5F136)
    Model: MA712LL
    Firmware: 04.05.04_G

I appreciate any help! I've searched, but I didn't get a clear answer. Thanks!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There has not been a baseband update for the 2G for years, and even if there were it would not lock the 2G. The iPhone 2G has been permanently pwned with a hardware-based hack that cannot be patched by Apple. Just jailbreak, hacktivate, and unlock with redsn0w.

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

4. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate it. I will go ahead with the firmware update from iTunes.