Is it safe to update apps for 4.2 on phone w/ 4.1 j/b?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrThompsonR, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Is it safe or should I disregard these until I upgrade to/ jailbreak 4.2? I remember after updating some apps on my old 3G(j/b 3.12) to 3.13 my phone started crashing alot and after a few reboots wouldn't come back up fully, forcing me to restore/ update to Apples latest iPhone software/ killing my jailbreak...? Could this happen again? I'd rather stay away from iTunes for awhile than go through that again... From what I've read 4.2 doesn't sound like a great leap from 4.1 on an iP4... Opinions? I usually sync daily for podcast for my commute to work. Even w/o phone software, there's reminders for app updates...

2. BeijingiPhone macrumors newbie

4.2 contains a new baseband and there's no unlock available yet

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I believe the OP is asking if it's ok to install iTunes apps that are updated to 4.2 compatibility. If that is the question I say you are fine as long as the app doesn't come with a built-in version requirement.

4. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

should be fine. one of my apps had an update for 4.2 compatibility, and it worked fine after I installed it.

5. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I believe if it does it will flag it up, and probably won't let you download it until the update is done.

6. MrThompsonR thread starter macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

TS, the only way to know is this: If the app states that REQUIRES 4.2 & up then you can't run it w/ fw less than that version; most apps say COMPATIBLE to 4.2 which means that they work w/ lesser fw versions (up to a certain point depending on the app, which they usually also stipulate on the info).:cool: