Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Is it safe or should I disregard these until I upgrade to/ jailbreak 4.2? I remember after updating some apps on my old 3G(j/b 3.12) to 3.13 my phone started crashing alot and after a few reboots wouldn't come back up fully, forcing me to restore/ update to Apples latest iPhone software/ killing my jailbreak...? Could this happen again? I'd rather stay away from iTunes for awhile than go through that again... From what I've read 4.2 doesn't sound like a great leap from 4.1 on an iP4... Opinions? I usually sync daily for podcast for my commute to work. Even w/o phone software, there's reminders for app updates...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

BeijingiPhone said:
4.2 contains a new baseband and there's no unlock available yet

I believe the OP is asking if it's ok to install iTunes apps that are updated to 4.2 compatibility. If that is the question I say you are fine as long as the app doesn't come with a built-in version requirement.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
should be fine. one of my apps had an update for 4.2 compatibility, and it worked fine after I installed it.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I believe the OP is asking if it's ok to install iTunes apps that are updated to 4.2 compatibility. If that is the question I say you are fine as long as the app doesn't come with a built-in version requirement.

I believe if it does it will flag it up, and probably won't let you download it until the update is done.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
TS, the only way to know is this: If the app states that REQUIRES 4.2 & up then you can't run it w/ fw less than that version; most apps say COMPATIBLE to 4.2 which means that they work w/ lesser fw versions (up to a certain point depending on the app, which they usually also stipulate on the info).:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.