is it safe to upgrade and how to upgrade to 4.0 or 4.01 from 3.1.3?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by slowpapa, Aug 24, 2010.

1. slowpapa macrumors newbie

i have a jailbroken iphone 3gs running 3.1.3, the main reason i jailbroke was so i could disable cellular data and not pay the 25 a month. i want to upgrade to something above 4.0. now i know in 4.0 or newer you can turn off cellular data but does that do the same thing as the profile i have on my phone that disables the data? also is there a way to upgrade to 4.0 or 4.10 so i can jailbreak again?

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I'm afraid that Apple no longer signs 4.0.1 and because you don't have blobs saved for that firmware on your device, your only option would be 4.0.2 for which there is no jailbreak at this time.

You'll likely need to wait until 4.1.0 is released and then jailbroken by the DevTeam.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Did you ever save your hashes ? Does Cydia show your hashes saved (top of screen, green letters) ?

4. slowpapa thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

open up cydia and look at the top of the page if it says anything like this device has available shsh's for firmware builts 4.0 etc....

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

7. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Eventually Apple stops supporting old versions of firmware for the iPhone. When you restore, your phone connects to Apple's activation servers to verify that you have a legitimate iDevice. When you downgrade to an old firmware, the servers don't recognize 4.0.1 or older and fail, therefore making your downgrade fail and keeping your phone from working on anything but 4.0.2 or the current firmware.

"blobs" and "hashes" are a sort of save state of your firmware saved on Saurik's server or another private server. You can trick your phone to connecting to these other servers rather than Apple's official server, thereby telling your phone that the older firmware no longer supported by Apple is still legitimate.

8. duffsrp macrumors member

I'm doing something similar upgrade with a 3g. 3.0 to 4.0. I built a custom firmware and tried to install. itunes won't allow.IT give me an error message and I'm stuck in recovery mode.
    I did an upgrade similar to this before (3.0- 3.1.2 when 3.1.3 was out) with another phone but had to delete a file in my system folder to allow me to do it. I'm trying to remember what what that file is now. I think it's a file that checks for the most recent firmware. Any one know what I'm talking about and what file I need to delete? working on a Mac 10.6.4 itunes 9.2.1

9. Jen21 macrumors newbie

I upgrade an IPhone from 3.01 to 4.01 cos my friends jailbroken. When you connect the Iphone to Itunes click restore and shift at the same time (windows).

If you have the 4.01 software on your computer find it and it will upload that software.

10. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Just doing that won't work anymore. Now, you will get "This device not eligible..." error because Apple stop officially signing 4.0.1. You can only officially upgrade to 4.0.2.

11. duffsrp macrumors member

Not sure if this helps, but I got my upgrade to work. Here's what I did. iPhone 3g 16gb. It was jailbroken at 3.0. I wanted to update to 4.0 or 4.01. I chose 4.0. I built a custom firmware with Pwnage Tool. I changed my "Host" file per the instructions on http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4350

I then option restored my phone in iTunes. I got an error message a couple time. My issue turned out to be that I thought it was in DFU when it was in Recovery mode. I needed to get it into DFU. I used Pwnage again to get me into DFU. Then option restore. Selected my custom build and now I'm running 4.0 on my 16gb 3g. I hope that works for you.

12. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Upgrading and downgrading with 2G / 3G phones are relatively easy compare to 3GS / IP 4 since you don't have to worry about Apples security check (requires saved SHSH hashes. Thus, you post won't work on OP's 3GS.