Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiabBarca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Omdurman - Sudan
Apple's been wiping iCloud Drive storage for a couple of times since they first announced it. Will they do it again even though iOS 8 is publicly out?
I didn't upgrade my OS X Yosemite to iCloud Drive but if it's safe, I'll do it alongside my iPhone.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Apple's been wiping iCloud Drive storage for a couple of times since they first announced it. Will they do it again even though iOS 8 is publicly out?
I didn't upgrade my OS X Yosemite to iCloud Drive but if it's safe, I'll do it alongside my iPhone.

Hard to say, just make sure you have TM and no problems.

pauliewa

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Wondering the same. Have 10.10 on my macbook and an iphone6 incoming friday. Not sure what to do.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Wondering the same. Have 10.10 on my macbook and an iphone6 incoming friday. Not sure what to do.

It's completely safe as long as you have a TM or backup. I just made the switch over. If Apple wipes I'll just restore Mobile Documents and never miss a beat.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
Hard to say, just make sure you have TM and no problems.
Just to be clear: if you want to be 100% safe then you need to make a separate TM and put it aside. I wouldn't trust being able to access old Time Machine backups after converting to Yosemite. It could overwrite the old stuff, erase it, who knows.

And TM doesn't backup cloud docs so you need to make sure you're backing them up on a local solution in addition to the cloud to be certain you've got data protection.

I've messed up along the way to Yosemite on following my own recommendations so I'm going to have to ride this one out and hope for the best :eek:

But I'm describing what I wished I had done, best practices, and YMMV etc. etc. etc.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I have read these threads over and over but still don't get it what exactly could Apple wipe? I am signed into iCloud on my iMac as well as iPad and they hold my notes email and that's it have already individually saved my photos. So what am I in danger of losing?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just to be clear: if you want to be 100% safe then you need to make a separate TM and put it aside. I wouldn't trust being able to access old Time Machine backups after converting to Yosemite. It could overwrite the old stuff, erase it, who knows.

And TM doesn't backup cloud docs so you need to make sure you're backing them up on a local solution in addition to the cloud to be certain you've got data protection....
OP says has Yo installed.

Also ALL iCloud docs are stored locally on you HD in the Library/Mobile Documents folder too. So they are backed up toTM and if Apple wipes you just go back and restore them.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I was wondering this too if I should finally upgrade to iCloud Drive on Yosemite now that iOS 8 is publicly out, but that last bit tells me they shouldn't do any iCloud drive wipes. I mean, iOS 8 is now live and millions of people as we speak are upgrading their iCloud accounts to iCloud drive, so I highly doubt that Apple would do this.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I just posted another thread on an iCloud issue I'm having. IMO it is still not ready for prime time. I'm having problems on the Yosemite side. I am making sure that all files I have on it, I have an extra backup (and sometimes a couple).

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
OP says has Yo installed.

Also ALL iCloud docs are stored locally on you HD in the Library/Mobile Documents folder too. So they are backed up toTM and if Apple wipes you just go back and restore them.
I did not know they were stored locally. Thanks for that information.

It seems like I misread the question. My concern was more about different versions of OS X being compatible with the current Time Machine backup than I am about Apple wiping my data. I was cautioning against relying on a current TM backup if one wants to roll back to Mavericks because there's no guarantee it'll be compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.