Is it seriously uncool to wear studio headphones to the gym?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by -Ryan-, Jan 26, 2010.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've been wearing the earphones that come with iPods for years now at the gym, but when I'm at home I wear studio headphones. Recently I've started to think that maybe I should just wear my studio headphones to the gym. I'm not really one to care about what I look like to other people, but this does seem a bit odd. Are they really out of place or do you think no one would take a second glance?

I've never seen anyone do this before. :eek:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yes they would be out of place, and they probably would be very impractical, and do you really want to risk damaging them?

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

although i dont go to a gym, i have everything located on my premises, i am not sure how you would wear those headphones when working out...unless you normally stop just before you break a sweat.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is not the coolness that I would be concerned about, but the practicality instead.

5. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'd thought about that, but I usually wipe off the sweat every few minutes anyway. Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'll be trying this one! I'm tempted to get some of those wrap around headphones for the ears though, as if I run too fast the iPod ones tend to fall out. Thanks guys! :)

6. Intense macrumors regular

Agree with other posters ... heat, sweat, headphones sliding up and down from the sweat ... i don't care about looks at the gym either yet I am still a tiny bit sensitive and scared at being judged for whatever reason :D ... good luck on your search ! :apple:

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

if you absolutely need the quality of sound, perhaps you can get some headphones that almost but not completely block off the ears. These can be quite small and actually look kind of sporty. Obviously you won't get the sound of a real studio setup but it may be an acceptable compromise.

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

why don't you just use a set of in-ear monitors?

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would secretly laugh at you and then tell my friends later about it and we'd chuckle collectively. I'm not kidding, wearing Studio's to the gym is ridiculous.

10. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

If you do it while wearing a sweatband, dixey dukes, and knee high socks, perhaps it would be OK? ;)

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You would look dumb and it would be very impractical.

12. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I agree:D

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Ok imagine yourself wearing them big lunky headphones, wearing old school rollerskates (not the inline ones) but the OLD SCHOOL roller skates now imagine yourself in gym shorts wearing a sweat band. Is it the 1970's? NO TAKE THE ****ING HEADPHONES OFF!

14. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Highjacking thread!

Is it uncool to wear studio monitor headphones when travelling in a car as a passenger listening to your Ipod?

15. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Even if you don't care what other people say about you, I would assume that headphones would kind of get in the way when you are trying to exercise at the gym. I wear headphones at home too when listening to my music, etc and I've noticed that they can make my ears warm even when I'm just sitting so I don't even want to think about how hot they will become when exercising.

If you care that much about audio quality when you're at the gym then try investing in good quality earphones. They probably won't be as good as a good headphone but there is a difference between the free iPod earphones and a good quality earphone. The ones that come with iPods aren't that great.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Actually it might be cool. I mean ****, that means you have the balls to do it, rather than just look like a douche with big-ass headphones.

17. Ann P macrumors 68020

I think it looks pretty ridiculous. If you're just there to lift weights.. fine. If you're actually running with them on? Now that's just stupid.

18. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Not uncool per say, but impolite I'd say. Unless the driver literally is your chauffeur you shouldn't treat them as one. Have a conversation, or at least leave the option for one.

19. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

20. whatisitgoodfor macrumors newbie

go for it

I disagree. I dont think its uncool at all. If i saw someone with big headphones on at the gym id give props to them.
    Dont worry about what other people think.

21. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I saw a rather large woman at the gym once with Dr. Dre Beats on.. needless to say they kept falling off, looked ridiculous, and the risk of breaking them is high. In-ears are way better.

22. ender land macrumors 6502a

Having had someone do this when I was driving, it's awkward as hell to be the driver.

23. Ann P, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

Ann P macrumors 68020

24. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

25. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think a good pair of in-ear headphones that don't fall out (maybe some specific sports ones) would be better than those. They're quite expensive and you could break them.