Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
When one clicks on a poster's name, a drop down menu appears where s/he can choose to see the poster's profile.

A propos to nothing, I noticed that while Safari's status bar indicates that the profile should be openned in a new browser window, it never is. Nor can it be opened in a new tab.

What's up with that?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
idea_hamster said:
When one clicks on a poster's name, a drop down menu appears where s/he can choose to see the poster's profile.

A propos to nothing, I noticed that while Safari's status bar indicates that the profile should be openned in a new browser window, it never is. Nor can it be opened in a new tab.

What's up with that?
it opens in another window for me on ff 1.0.4 for xp, and safari (latest panther version) what version of safari are you using?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
idea_hamster said:

What's up with that?

Something happens to me. On my Mac no new window, on my PC new window.....:confused:

To tell you the truth, I don't think I ever noticed the "....in a new window" thing in the status bar. I always preferred no new window, although I guess the opposite is the correct way.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Those links open in current tag for me, too. Status bar indicates new window or tab if I hold down the cmd key, but no matter what it just opens in the current tab (slightly annoying).

iBook G4, Mac OS X 10.4.2 (but it also behaved this way under 10.4.0 and .1), Safari 2.0.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Running OS X 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3.

It may just not be supported.

I just thought that it was odd that Safari would recognize the link as one to be opened in a new window/tab, but not be able to do it.

No biggie. Just odd.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Has always worked fine for me on my mini tiger.2.
I'm a 'tab' browser and when i want to see a profile i right-click my M$-mouse (so you all can cmd-click ;)) and choose open in new tab. Loads fine, even without selecting 'view user profile' from the dropdown.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
redeye_be said:
Has always worked fine for me on my mini tiger.2.
I'm a 'tab' browser and when i want to see a profile i right-click my M$-mouse (so you all can cmd-click ;)) and choose open in new tab. Loads fine, even without selecting 'view user profile' from the dropdown.
Nice catch, and it works on the links in the drop-down menu, too. Just right/ctrl-click those and choose "Open Link In New Window/Tab" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.