Is it still worth buying a 4S on contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigDogg795, Aug 15, 2012.

1. BigDogg795 macrumors newbie

Getting real annoyed with my Razr Maxx lately and I want to jump ship to an iPhone...my only hesitation is that in about a month, maybe a month and a half we could expect to see the 5 released. My thoughts are to pick up a 4S on upgrade, and then when the 5 comes out, sell the 4S as well as my Maxx and put the funds towards full retail on the 5. Any reasons why I should not do this? I'm expecting even with the 5's release to still get approximately $300 for the 4S and about the same for my Maxx....so I'm looking at $600 towards a $650 full retail. I'm really seeing this as a six in one hand, half dozen the other situation, but maybe another set of eyes might be helpful to see something I'm not.

TIA!

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

If you're gonna get a 4S, at least wait till Apple drops the price next month.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Be smart about it... just wait another month... it is a lot safer

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna echo what everyone else is saying . . . is another month with the one you have going to be that unbearable?

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

This would put you ahead (assuming you can get $300 for the Maxx) by $75 ish instead of down $50 +

6. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Same issue

I would honestly wait until the whole new iphone plays out. I am trying to decide if I want to switch to Verizon from ATT for the new iphone. Seems like VW is more expensive and I may be able to still have my "unlimited" plan with ATT.:confused:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unless you're getting from sprint.
    They dropped the 16GB 4S to $149 and it also comes with a $100 Amex gift card. So costs you $49 in the end.
    Pretty decent deal, even when the new iphone is out I dont think you'll be able to get it cheaper than $49.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My AT&T iPhone 4S, functions the best of any iPhone I've had so far. But then again so does my wife's on Verizon. That's because in our area the coverage for each network is very strong. A rather unusual situation since most areas tend to be dominated by one strong carrier with the others trailing off a bit.

9. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I know what you mean there... For me, AT&T and Verizon dominate the St. Louis market in terms of quality of coverage. Sprint is better than AT&T when in downtown StL though...

10. BigDogg795 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I was planning...not to mention I don't know how much longer Verizon will let me upgrade my secondary line to a smartphone, reactivate a dumbphone on it and put the smartphone on my line without losing my unlimited data. I have a feeling Verizon is going to put a stop to that soon enough...

11. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Just wait. It'll be a lot less hassle. Is another month really that painful?

12. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Well... now that you mention you are Verizon with grandfathered unlimited data... then maybe your plan makes a little more sense, as long as u do not use your upgrade for the 4S. and they do not catch u

EDIT: Nevermind what I said, because you could upgrade your line because the 4S is not LTE...

----------

Now it seems like you have a good plan to get the new iPhone cheaper while keeping your unlimited data... Can't leave out those details.

ADDITIONAL: you spend $150 on the 4S... sell it for roughly $300 (your number, maybe you could get Verizon to unlock it) and sell your Maxx for $300 (also your number)... buy the new phone for $650...

You would be out $200 plus tax give or take how much you really get out of either phone.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Something no one else seems to be mentioning is SSD space.

The cheaper 4S next month will likely only come in 8 GB. If that's fine for you, yeah, wait.

If you're the sort who really wants 32 or 64 GB, though...well that might not be the best plan.

The middle ground is to wait for the day before the new phone comes out and see if any retailers that aren't Apple (like Best Buy) are selling 64 GB 4S's cheaper.

But you're taking a risk they'll have sold out already. If they do, you'll have to decide between the new phone or an 8 GB 4S.

None of these are bad things, mind you! I'm just making sure you have all the info you need.

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

There will be plenty of 16/32/64GB 4Ss when the new one is announced and the oldies are discounted. No sense in getting one now, when more discounts are around the corner.

15. Want300, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Now that the OP mentioned he has a grandfathered unlimited data plan, it seems like he is trying to get the new iPhone as cheaply as possible... Use his upgrade on a discounted 4S... sell it, make profit, sell his Maxx, and buy new iPhone outright to keep his unlimited data plan.

EDIT: UGH, good to know what TIA means now...

16. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

TIA= Thanks In Advance lol

But yea, If i were on Verizon and trying to remain grandfathered, that seems like a good plan.

17. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Never seen that one before... Thanks for pointing that out, lol

18. BigDogg795 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo, yeah, I've been as clear as mud with this lol. I knew I left out some key elements.

And yeah, for the record, I'm a guy lol.

19. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

LOL... yea, i figured that out.

I think you have a good idea and a good way to keep unlimited data while getting a better deal on the new iPhone.

It isn't super cut and dry on how much you will save. but yea. you will definitely save money.