Is it strange to wear the pride strap if you're not gay?

The Clark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
293
366
Victoria, BC
I initially thought that by purchasing the pride band I'd be essentially showing support for LGTBQ community whilst rocking a really good looking band (IMO) however a few friends suggested that it was kind of weird to wear the pride strap unless you know someone close to you who is gay, or are gay yourself.

What are your thoughts?
 

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
3,395
1,160
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Given that they have rules, I find it interesting that they “allow” the wearing of the rainbow if you simply “know someone who is LGBTQ.” Is it so odd in your circle to even know anyone who’s queer? Granted, I am a pinko liberal who lives on a coast, but, among the people I know, that would just mean anyone would be “allowed” to wear it.

Wait a stinking minute! Anyone is allowed to wear it! Ahh, sneaky. *nods knowingly*

All joking aside, OP, wear it if you like it. It’s a great band. :)
 

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
9,510
6,738
What are your thoughts?
When I see that symbol I'm going to think 80% chance you are LGTBQ, 15% chance you are just very supportive, and 5% chance you simply like rainbows. Apparently you are in that 15% in my head.

Keep in mind that it is literal virtue signaling. Like it's one thing to donate to fight cancer, and another thing to wear the plastic yellow band for the next 10 years. ;) Not like I can talk though, I have a PRODUCT(RED) iPhone. (signals virtuuuuue)
 
Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
3,607
5,672
San Diego, CA, USA
I think it’s a monumental waste of time and energy to worry about what other people think/feel in regards to your fashion choices.
The pride brand does not only stand for homosexuality, not for any sexuality for that matter. It really comes down to accepting everyone, regardless of sexuality, just for who they are. Stop worrying what other people think, start wearing what you like, show what you support.
Very much both of these. Wear what you like. It doesn't mean "LGTBQ only", it means accepting everyone regardless of their persuasion. I have a couple (woven nylon and sport loop), and wear them occasionally. The main reaction I get is my nieces commenting approvingly because "rainbows are pretty". Yes, there's a remote chance someone will assume you're gay. That's not a negative thing. The few times it's happened to me (not because of a watchband), I've been flattered.
 

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
1,686
1,383
USA
I initially thought that by purchasing the pride band I'd be essentially showing support for LGTBQ community whilst rocking a really good looking band (IMO) however a few friends suggested that it was kind of weird to wear the pride strap unless you know someone close to you who is gay, or are gay yourself.

What are your thoughts?
Your value as a human being is not based on the opinions of other human beings. Wear whatever pleases you, while conforming to your local laws of course, it doesn’t matter what others think. Rainbows were not invented by the LGTBQ community.. they have no authority regarding who can and cannot wear anything resembling a rainbow.
 

Bandaman

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2019
490
1,043
Good on you for supporting those people. Leave it at that and don’t care what others think. You’re not doing anything wrong.
 

Royksöpp

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2013
1,013
1,229
Not at all. It's a gorgeous band regardless. I'm a guy and I'm really into color. I bought the Pomegranate Sport Loop which is very pink, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. It looks awesome. The rainbow band will be my next purchase. The red lugs will look sick with Space Gray.
 

jwlbel

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
283
119
Why do you care? I have a lot of pride/rainbow things that I wear proudly and I am married and heterosexual. Love is Love.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
3,607
5,672
San Diego, CA, USA
Upon further reflection, the one instance in which I'd recommend strongly against wearing pride/rainbow items is if you find yourself strongly in opposition to what all those rainbows represent - the idea that people shouldn't be discriminated against because of who they love.

If you are part of a group or organization that opposes treating people equally regardless of who they love, in that case, then, avoid wearing rainbow paraphernalia, and maybe rethink your life choices.

Anyone else, heck yeah, wear rainbows if you want.
 

Elitegate

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
460
342
I initially thought that by purchasing the pride band I'd be essentially showing support for LGTBQ community whilst rocking a really good looking band (IMO) however a few friends suggested that it was kind of weird to wear the pride strap unless you know someone close to you who is gay, or are gay yourself.

What are your thoughts?
No. If you like the Rainbow Flag / Colors or you want to support the LGBTQ community, or you just happen to like that particular Watch Band, go ahead. I think it's great that Apple offers you a choice of many different watch bands and colors.

But your friends do have a point though. People could think that your gay :p. But still, everyone can wear that, no matter what your sexual orientation is. Maybe you just want to show your support, and in the end, it's a rainbow colored watch band and nothing more.

I also happen to not like the Gold color the iPhone 8 (Plus) has, i found it to be the perfect color for women. Beautiful rose gold color, yes, but nothing i would ever consider. But if someone else likes that color, he or she should just get the phone in that color. I don't care, and i don't judge people over something as stupid as the color of their phone or their Apple Watch Band. You need to like it, that's the most important thing. But still, expect people to think you are gay. (Which isn't a bad thing of course, it's just unfitting when you are not.)
 

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
551
403
Singapore
Personally as a heterosexual man I would definitely wear this band; it's vibrant, looks fresh, and carries a positive message. Now I reckon it ain't the type of band I'd sport for a job interview.

If you like the pride band just wear it and don't be afraid to show off your taste and what you stand for :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: The Clark

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
623
369
London
I'm heterosexual and get many complements on my pride band from my gay and straight friends. I like bright colours, I count myself as an ally, and I believe in humanity.

Only case for not wearing it would be if you have some kind of problem with non-cis/hetero humans (in which case it's claiming credit for tolerance you don't have).
 
  • Like
Reactions: CarlJ

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
10,650
2,811
Bay Area
I say wear it if you like it. Just be aware that many people will assume you’re gay. And no, I’m not sayin that’s a bad thing, just stating it as something to be aware of, in case it bothers you.
 

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
1,771
270
San Francisco, CA
When I see that symbol I'm going to think 80% chance you are LGTBQ, 15% chance you are just very supportive, and 5% chance you simply like rainbows. Apparently you are in that 15% in my head.

Keep in mind that it is literal virtue signaling. Like it's one thing to donate to fight cancer, and another thing to wear the plastic yellow band for the next 10 years. ;) Not like I can talk though, I have a PRODUCT(RED) iPhone. (signals virtuuuuue)
i agree 100%..A gay supporter would only wear this at an event etc. Not as a daily thing unless you’re gay.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Complex757

Northern Man

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
816
1,171
I wouldn't wear it. The sole reason being that I dislike the combination of colours. I support my gay friends in other ways.