is it stupid to get an iphone 5 now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spacewhalezo, Aug 11, 2013.

1. spacewhalezo macrumors newbie

I need to get a new phone now, and i am thinking about getting the iphone 5, but do you think it is stupid to get the phone because the iphone 5s will be coming out next month? I cant wait a month though. Another phone i am looking at is the galaxy s4, but i prefer the ios apps.

2. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Yes, it sort of is stupid. You never know what Apple has up their sleeve, and rumors might not always be right. But we know for sure an iPhone is coming soon, historically. I'd just wait the month. But if you ABSOLUTELY can't, then go ahead for the 5, it will just be outdated soon.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

4. spacewhalezo thread starter macrumors newbie

cuz my ****** bb has some kind of data leakage, and it keeps going over the data limit. Also i have a voucher from my carrier that needs to be used by the end of the month.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sounds like you answered your own question. If you can't wait then get the iPhone 5. Don't get the Galaxy S4 if you want iOS you'll just be regretting your decision even more than simply not having the latest iPhone.

By the way if you already have two years on your contract then you can always just start a new one whenever you want with any carrier you want for a phone discount. Then you can go ahead and buy a used and unlocked 3GS or 4 right now. Wait until the 5s comes out and buy it then resell the 3GS or 4 for very little loss.

6. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

Yes very very very stupid
    gud luck buying now and see prices fall in next 2 weeks..why would you waste money even if you might have plenty..unless there is an urgent need..in that case go ahead and buy now

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Get the iPhone 5.
    Hope that the 5S comes out within 30 days of purchasing the 5.
    Return the 5.
    Get the iPhone 5S.
    ???
    Profit?

8. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Yes, it's stupid. At least wait a month and buy it at a lower price.

9. spacewhalezo thread starter macrumors newbie

i think i will get the samsung s4 and then sell it when the 5s comes out

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Unless you are phoneless and need a smartphone urgently (and assuming you want something Apple), it won't be stupid. Otherwise, yes.

11. spacewhalezo thread starter macrumors newbie

Also the phone is practically free because i have two lines (both of which are eligible for upgrade), so i was thinking of getting the iphone 5 or galaxy s4, and then sell it when the 5s comes out, and get the 5s at a subsidised rate with the other line

12. Mebsat macrumors regular

Not stupid if you want a phone that works

New hardware will most likely have iOS 7 on it and be incapable of running iOS6.

If you want to be part of the iOS 7 beta that Apple is going to force on its users, you should wait.

If you want the option of having a phone that actually works, you should get an iPhone 5 now.
    If you are in the US, Wal-mart has them for $129.

13. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

i'd say wait for the 5S. Its only a month away

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

I wouldn't. Get yourself a prepaid phone for a month. What's 4-6 weeks when you'll have the latest.

15. yorohit79 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I too am eager to buy a iPhone5. I just want to know these:

a) if iPhone 5S gets released in Sept, will it come with plans which will be much more costlier than the current iPhone 5 plans? (effectively taking it out of my budget)
    b) Do the prices of earlier models (iPhone 5 in this case) typically get slashed substantially on the release of a new model? Like, will a monthly iPhone 5 plan of say £32 in UK immediately become something like £27?

Please do reply and then I'll decide if I should buy it rightaway or wait a bit... Thanks!!

16. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

If you need a Phone 100% then no. If you have a phone you can live with for another month (aka any smart phone) then yes why not wait a month.

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

18. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

No If the iphone 5 specs are enough for your needs go for it :)

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Depends. If you NEED a phone now that get it or the GS4 or whatever phone strikes your fancy. Or you can wait 4-6 weeks.

20. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Apple does not control phone plans. You will pay the same for data, texting, and minutes that you would have with any smartphone. So, no, it will not be costlier.

Yes, earlier models are cheaper when a new phone comes out. When iPhone 5 came out, the 4 was free with 2 year contract and I think the 4S was $100. So, I am guessing that the 4S will be free with 2 year contract, and the 5 will be $100 with 2 year contract when the new phone comes out.

21. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

It's not stupid...but not wise if you pay full price for it...look for discounts on 2 year contracts soon!

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, sounds like you could use a phone now.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you have to ask, It is stupid.

So ur carrier is dinking u for going over, PAY THEM! What they want for another month, $50?

But OK u want something now and can sell it back later, don't mind the hassle? go for it.

24. Dented macrumors 6502a

Hmm - everyone is assuming the 5 will still be available at a reduced price once the 5S/6 is released, just like every other year, but that's not counting on the supposed "5C" or budget iphone seemingly coming this year.

Apple keep a very, very right rein on inventory. If they're launching a budget iPhone to take the traditional place of "last year's model" in the lineup, then it's quite possible that we'll see the iPhone 5 pretty much disappear at the same time. Certainly whatever stock is out there may simply remain at the same price, with the 5C undercutting it and the 6 at a premium. It doesn't make sense that they'd launch a cheaper, new iPhone with a big fanfare while at the same time making the better built and more premium iPhone 5 cheap too.

So if you don't fancy the cheaper, plastic, budget model, and the price of the 5 is right for you now, maybe it's not such a bad idea..

25. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Only if you're stupid enough to believe a phone can only last one year.