Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I just got a 2013 air, sold a 15" retina that I had for around 3 weeks. The air has a LG display, not sure if I am spoiled by the retina or if the LG just really sucks because I have had many airs and pros in the past and never felt the display was bad but this screen on this air seems terrible especially with text. Do you think its the LG display or are my standards just higher now? I am considering returning this and trying again for a samsung. Another thing I notice is that even after calibration the whites seem so yellow and the colours and blacks are dont stand out from the whites

JollyJoeJoe

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
I just got a 2013 air, sold a 15" retina that I had for around 3 weeks. The air has a LG display, not sure if I am spoiled by the retina or if the LG just really sucks because I have had many airs and pros in the past and never felt the display was bad but this screen on this air seems terrible especially with text. Do you think its the LG display or are my standards just higher now? I am considering returning this and trying again for a samsung

Yes, it is awful. Like you I am coming from the retina, which is the best there is for text and vector stuff.

Now using MBA 2013. The screen quality on the Air and viewing angles are no different than on a $400 Acer notebook.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
Yes, it is awful. Like you I am coming from the retina, which is the best there is for text and vector stuff.

Now using MBA 2013. The screen quality on the Air and viewing angles are no different than on a $400 Acer notebook.

me too, coming from a retina as well after a year!!

thankful i am connected to a thunderbolt display 90% of the time so i never really have to look at this screen

retina MBA would be perfect!!! but i think we are a few years from that, maybe never... come on apple!!!!!

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
May I ask, If you're 'connected' 90% of the time, why did you get an Air?
It negates all the advantages an Air has over the the 13" pros - portability and batter life.

Just curious. I always enjoy adding new perspectives.

axi0m

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
The MacBook Air screen is so nasty I have seen better screens on KIRFS.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
It negates all the advantages an Air has over the the 13" pros - portability and batter life.

for work and travels, every year i travel at least about a month of total time and i need a laptop with me, its just easier to carry around compare to a 15" RMBP, the 15RMBP is a beautiful machine, if i never use it outside of home, it would be my machine for sure.

oh and also i dont carry any bags with me, my laptop is in a sleeve and thats how i carry it when outside of home, so the Air is much more reasonable.

another reason was Air is just better performance, $1500 gets me haswell, 8GB, and a super ridiculous SSD

Pro for $1000 ivy bridge, another $200-$300 to update Ram and SSD

so for a little extra money i get everything i need while still under warranty

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

the other side of that coin is why pay $400 more for a hgh-res screen he'll only use 10% of the time?

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Get the Samsung. I have it and it looks great. Unless your face unless than a foot from the screen you will not notice the pixels.

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
lol, just retina is more of marketing trick of Apple than rather than real quality on 13 inch panel, install windows 8 for example and u wont tell difference, OSX somehow stresses difference by default colours, but after calibration u cant tell much of it

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
If you have an awful screen, it's a Samsung trust me.

The LG looks gorgeous but whining 15" retinaMBP children lost LG the contract and Samsung are now churning out yellow pissed on screens to their enemy Apple for most MacBooks/air/retinas, if you're lucky enough to get an LG display look after it because if you crack it or it gets marked by your keyboard your replacement won't have that perfect white point, it'll be SamsUng'd "U=Urine, no calibration can take the p i s s from the screen.

And please photographers don't try and convince us it's more faithful that's balony it isn't it's yellow.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
If you have an awful screen, it's a Samsung trust me.

The LG looks gorgeous but whining 15" retinaMBP children lost LG the contract and Samsung are now churning out yellow pissed on screens to their enemy Apple for most MacBooks/air/retinas, if you're lucky enough to get an LG display look after it because if you crack it or it gets marked by your keyboard your replacement won't have that perfect white point, it'll be SamsUng'd "U=Urine, no calibration can take the p i s s from the screen.

And please photographers don't try and convince us it's more faithful that's balony it isn't it's yellow.

dude...

donjgatlin

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
I've viewed the two in store and the MBA's screen wasn't as good as the rMBP, but it wasn't that bad. It did look fairly washed out and the colors weren't as vibrant or as deep. The rMBP's and other retina Mac's do have really nice screens in comparison, but it may be up to personal preference. If I'd been using a rMBP for a year, I'd notice it. I use a dual monitor setup all day w/ one IPS (HP ZR2440w) and a TN (20" Dell UltraSharp) and It's fairly annoying to switch in between the two with tasks due to the differences in color quality. It's perfectly understandable that you'd feel this way with a rMBP to MBA switch.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I've viewed the two in store and the MBA's screen wasn't as good as the rMBP, but it wasn't that bad. It did look fairly washed out and the colors weren't as vibrant or as deep. The rMBP's and other retina Mac's do have really nice screens in comparison, but it may be up to personal preference. If I'd been using a rMBP for a year, I'd notice it. I use a dual monitor setup all day w/ one IPS (HP ZR2440w) and a TN (20" Dell UltraSharp) and It's fairly annoying to switch in between the two with tasks due to the differences in color quality. It's perfectly understandable that you'd feel this way with a rMBP to MBA switch.

I found that the ones at bestbuy looked washed out. My Samsung has a very nice contrast with vibrant colours.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Meh. my Samsung was far too warm out of the box, and required serious color adjustment to get it to even compare to my old 15" Macbook Pro.

donjgatlin

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
I found that the ones at bestbuy looked washed out. My Samsung has a very nice contrast with vibrant colours.
I'm unsure about which panel it had. I wish I could see the two (LG and SAMSUNG) side by side for definite comparison. Compared to most laptop screens these days it actually looks rather nice. The glossy coating on Windows laptops just looks streaked and has weird patterns on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.