Is it time to move on from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Oct 10, 2012.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Before iOS 6 and the new iPhone, everything was great. After updating to iOS 6, my battery life has been cut in half (yes I've explored every option to fix it) and my bookmarks are stuck in sync so that I can't edit or delete them, nor can I add to my reading list...
    (EDIT: for the record, I have an iPhone 4 currently)

I want the new iPhone and my upgrade is in the next month, but am cautious of buying a phone with a flawed camera and possibly a weaker than normal aluminum casing. I'm hoping these issues are worked out soon and that there will be an iOS update VERY soon. Never had an issue until this year, and I've owned an iPhone since the 3GS came out.

Anyone else frustrated and feel the same way? I wish there was another phone manufacturer I could go to and rely on, which makes it even harder to leave Apple. Just my thoughts in case anyone is interested!

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I love my new iPhone 5...my camera works perfect even when taking pictures of bright lights, the sun, reflections of lights, etc.

You would be hard pressed to find a phone without its quirks...Apple just tends to fix most of those quirks with software updates, whereas other companies rarely, if ever, update their phones. I tried out the Nexus One when it came out from Google to try Android out...I even used custom CM ROMS and the experience was never as polished as it is with the iPhones.

I would advise you to try out a couple of other phones and decide for yourself...you might like and Android/WP8 phone better than the iPhone, and that's OK. :) Everyone has their own preferences.

3. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

There is no real flaw with the camera and the phone casing is just fine. A lot of material you read on the forums is dramatization and should be taken as such. The iPhone 5 is truly Apple's best phone yet and I'm confident to say that you will love it.

4. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

The purple haze is a flaw many are experiencing. Whether or not it affects all iPhone 5's, I don't know. But any reasonable person would say the amount of purple haze in photos many are reporting is in fact a flaw. And the casing is flawed and weaker than it should be on many as well. I'm hoping that these issues may be fixed in a month once I'm due for an upgrade. I refuse to go through purchasing and returning multiple phones to find the perfect one like some have had to do.

I would go Android, but any phone I have tried out has software issues that seem to never get fixed and the phones slow down for no logical reason after using them for a few weeks/months. WP8 is not quite mature enough yet in my opinion, but it does look interesting.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nope. I've had my iPhone 5 for 3 and half weeks now, and I'm not regretting a thing.

Was it a bump start? Yes. I had scuffs out of the box. But that same day, an Apple Genius replaced my scuffed phone with a new one, flawless, no questions asked. Since then, I've been very happy.

This past weekend I left my dSLR camera in the trunk of my car by accident, but ended up not regretting it because I took 200 awesome pictures with my iPhone 5 cameras, outdoors, in varying levels of light and sun. And my case hasn't bent or scratched, even though it gets at least as much (if not more) use than my iPhone 4 and 4S did.

iOS problems? Haven't seen 'em. My battery life has been great and my bookmarks are working.

All in all, I'm happy I got my iPhone 5, and I wouldn't even think of switching to anything else right now.

If YOU want to move on from Apple, that's your choice. But I think you're making a rash decision based on software issues that will probably go away when you upgrade, and hardware issues that you've read about, buy haven't experienced yourself.

6. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like you had a good experience then. No apple store around me, so dealing with ATT going through multiple phones isn't quite as painless. Which is why I want a perfect product the first time.. I will put my iPhone in a case because I can be clumsy with it, but I of course expect a strong, no scuffed product when I purchase it since that's how a new product should arrive. Just worried about it all since this launch has seen much more quality control issues than usual.

7. scaredpoet, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They're experiencing it in conditions where they induce it. If you point a camera sensor at the sun, you're going to get lots of artifacts. Glare and purple fringing are just two of them.

And the iPhone 5 isn't the only camera that does this. LOTS of digital cameras do. Including the iPhone 4S, which strangely no one seemed to complain about, and yet...

[​IMG]

I guarantee you it does. But unless your hobby is to take pictures of the sun with your smartphone camera, you're probably not going to be plagued by it.

By what standard? We've seen, maybe a half dozen incidents of bent cases. That makes up 0.00012% of the iPhone 5s sold thus far. Not exactly numbers that amount to a design flaw.

Show me 10%, or even 5%, and maybe it'll be time to consider a product recall.

I guarantee you, the hardware isn't going to change in a month.

An absolute myth. See the links in my signature.

It's amazing how quickly we forget "antennagate" and the mysterious case of the cracking iPhone 3Gs, making molded plastic the worst design decision, ever. Or how the iPhone 4 glass backing was prone to breakage and therefore, it was the worst design decision ever, until, well the iPhone 5 casing was the worst design decision, ever.

Then don't. Clearly, the mere chance of maybe something not being right with your iPhone 5 and the hassle of dealing with it outweighs the issues you've talked about with going Android or Windows Phone. So, go get one of those, and be less-unhappy. Or stay with your iPhone 4, since that's at least a known quantity and it can't get any "worse" for you.

/thread.

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I had horrible battery life pop up with iOS6 on my i4 as well. :(

I didn't really mind, though, because I got the i5 shortly thereafter. :)

9. dotme macrumors 6502a

Cause and effect. You have to interrupt the sync. That will bring your battery life back. I'm assuming you're syncing with iCloud and other iDevices (iPad?).

1) Do a backup (in case... you know)
    2) Settings - iCloud - Turn ALL sliders off. Choose "Delete from my phone" on any that ask you.
    3) Restart phone
    4) Go back to iCloud - Turn the sliders that you want on, on.

Good luck. Oh - and I have the iPhone 5 now. Flawless. Bought on launch day at an AT&T store. Camera issue bothers me a little. (Yes, it's worse than the 4 or 4S). So does the possibility that it might bend. So I slapped a hard shell case on it. So far, overall, I love it.

10. Radiating macrumors 65816

You seem to be paranoid delusional and jumping to conclusions.

Everything in the world has bugs. Apple is one of the best companies at having the least. Your battery life can easily be fixed, and I highly doubt you've tried every option. Have you tried setting the device up as new, and then syncing your data? Restting all settings? Because that's the solution to that problem and it sounds like you haven't done it.

The camera isn't flawed. Even my $45,000 medium format system has lens flare, along with every other camera on earth, and YES sometimes my system is even worse than the iPhones at lens flare. Anyone who says it's flawed is seriously crazy. The lens only shows purple flare at a very specific angle less than a tenth of a degree, if you move the camera just a tiny bit it goes away. This is much better than most professional systems. If you're seriously woried about this issue go try it at the apple store and see just how hard it is to make it happen and how easy it is to fix.

The iPhone 5 casing isn't weak it's stronger than any major competitors casing period.

Anyways go ahead and go to another manufacturer. You'll find that there are not just new software bugs you run into once every decade but much more often. Try yearly, monthly or even weekly. The cameras will be significantly more flawed and will start at having half the resolving power delivered by the lens (like the galaxy S3 and HTC one X but asside from the ones with super cameras like the Nokia 808) also the cases will have more than a 200 in 5 million chance of breaking the case each year (the current number of iphones with bent case (based on known numbers from twiter, several forums and assuming only 20% of cases were reported) divided by the number of days it's been out multiplied by the number of days in a year )

Anyways you're taking some things way too seriously and you're going to make more problems for yourself, not less with that attitude.

11. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

The purple haze is much more profound on the iPhone 5 in most cases than any other current phone or camera, as shown all throughout this site and on the internet in general.
    Bent iPhones are rare, but many are knicked when they arrive to be sold, or the aluminum isn't as sturdy as it should be on some. That is unacceptable. There is a report that Apple is tightening quality control for this very issue, so yes, future production may alleviate this.
    The antenna problem on my 4 wasn't an issue because I use a case anyway.

You probably shouldn't guarantee things that you cannot be positive of, and the "/thread" is cute, good thing you don't get to decide that.

EDIT: this is in response to ScaredPoet, had trouble with the quote feature.

----------

Quote from Radiating: "You seem to be paranoid delusional and jumping to conclusions.

Everything in the world has bugs. Apple is one of the best companies at having the least. Your battery life can easily be fixed, and I highly doubt you've tried every option. Have you tried setting the device up as new, and then syncing your data? Restting all settings? Because that's the solution to that problem and it sounds like you haven't done it."

My response: Like I said, I've tried just about all approaches, and that did not help unfortunately. Paranoid and delusional??? Wow, that's a little harsh don't ya think? If I wanted a psychological analysis, I'd probably go to a professional who knows what they're talking about and wouldn't diagnose me by just hearing my concerns over spending a lot of money on a product that should come with zero issues.

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes I cant believe you would expect your $1,000.00 purchase to come in pristine condition. You are just spoiled, and you expect it to be able to withstand being in your front pocket without bending, sheesh why not ask for the world. some people are so selfish, I want a new looking phone, I want a device without scratches, I want to be able to carry it without being concerned about it bending, I want the camera to take decent pictures even in sunlight, me, me, me...... Dont you ever think about apple?

I just cant believe the nerve of some people, its an apple product, buy it and be quiet and dont complain. You should just be happy apple took your money, selfish people.

13. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I don't think iCloud is the issue. I only own an iPhone. I used iCloud briefly just to test it out and I liked using iTunes directly better. I did backup, restore, etc. Also tried deleting iCloud, deleting the individual sliders and what not. Even tried to replace my bookmarks using iTunes, and all that did was add mess from IE without replacing the old stuff.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

At least be honest and tell people that you really don't want objective or differing opinions, that you've already made up your mind, so people don't waste their time trying to help you. You were given a good perspective on all the criticisms and you dismissed it all, which indicates anything positive anybody says to you about why you shouldn't give up on Apple means nothing to you.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm just not sure what you expect us to tell you. You've already made up your mind, and the positive experiences posted in your thread aren't going to sway you. Solutions to your sync issue have been offered, and you've rejected them outright, without even trying them. So, what use is our input, exactly? Evidently, you can't be persuaded to consider other points of view.

None of use have the power to wave a magic wand, or start a prayer circle or séance or something to summon The Late Great Steve and have him supernaturally make sure that your iPhone 5 is flawless.

So what else is there? The only thing we CAN do: Beg you NOT to get an iPhone 5. For your sanity, and ours.

16. smellysox8 macrumors regular

I would do a trial run with an Android device. You will be pleasantly surprised.

17. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

My household has been Mac/Apple supporters for almost some 30 years. We are quite pleased with its products.

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Believe me op if I were unhappy with my iPhone 5 I wouldn't hesitate to say it. And with that said I really do love the phone. It's thin and light and feels great,the screen looks amazing and it's super fast,faster than my iPad 3. Just like you I came from the 4 and before that a 3GS.

19. Radiating macrumors 65816

So the camera has the twice the resolution of the competition, over 5 times the low light ability, a faster aperture than the competition, and your number one worry is the worst case scenario lens flare which happens only within a few fractions of a degree out of 360 degrees, and can easily be corrected as you're taking photos?

That's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ferrari and being worried about a minor uncommon issue which can easily be corrected with user input in the Ferrari. :)

The real reason this happened in the first place was because iPhone demand was so high that quality suffered.

The competition is not better than Apple in this regard, it's worse.

Your whole post was a doomsday prediction that Apple was now terrible because of some minor issue. That's a silly line of thinking.

20. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I have upgraded from the 4, to the 4S and the 5. So i know where you're coming from. That being said, my iPhone 5 is "perfect" the aluminum is strong, and my camera is much better than my 4S. Is there any issue with camera haze? Maybe, but I sure as hell haven't experienced it or met a person who has. As far as the battery issue, it is better than my 4S which was a little better then my 4. So far my 5 has amazing battery life, so as far as that goes again, I think no issues. No offense, but it seems like you are letting a VERY vocal minority of customers with random issues think that EVERY iPhone is coming out like this.

21. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Im sorry, but where are you getting your info? 8 megapixels = 8 megapixels???

and the faster aperture, yes faster than the iphone 4s, but not than the competition from other brands??

Reminds me of that commercial where the girls said "it must be true because I read it on the internet, and they aren't allowed to say anything thats not true" lol

22. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

DAMMIT! And I was counting on that so I could get a perfect iPhone 5s:rolleyes:

23. Black Magic, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

So instead of taking internet writings as gospel to form your opinion, why not go to an Apple store and try an iPhone 5 out? If you have a buddy that has one, take some pictures and check the results. Heck, if you are worried about scratches, open it up right there in the store during purchase and inspect it. Did I mention that you can also return the device during the 14 day (or so) grace period? You also mentioned that you would be using a case with the iPhone 5 so that should also alleviate your scratching concern as well.

OR

You can let fear and rumor dictate your judgement and run out and get an Android phone. You then will have REAL issues to complain about like:

1. hoping and praying your new phone will get the latest OS released months ago.

2. Battery Life.

3. Picture Quality.

4. Bloat installed on the phone.

5. Rebooting your phone to get it to work right.

6. Shutting down features to get your battery to last.

7. Forced closes.

OR

Jump on the sinking Microsoft ship that is Windows Phone. Heck, Microsoft abandoned all the poor users that bought Windows Phone 7 and now if they want an OS upgrade like Windows Phone 8 to fix any lingering issues of the beta Windows Phone 7, they gotta spring for a new Windows 8 phone. No thanks!

24. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

He said he didnt have an apple store in his area or he would feel much safer about the purchase.

25. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

Ok Sprint Store, AT&T Store, Verizon Store, BestBuy, or Radio Shack.....