Is it time to pull out the big guns ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Netr@nger, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Netr@nger macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello,i work in nuclear adaptation and am about to start on something that might just change mobile phones forever. Imagine your iphone without a charging port,and never needing to be charged,lithium power has been at its peak but will never get any better than it is now,so people are starting to ask the question-if it could be done safely,would you use a nuclear powered phone ?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Maybe wait on your big idea until we have nuclear powered cars.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

RTG powered phones?

Let's forget about peoples fears, and the real human risk of people carrying around high-grade radioactive materials. Forget that entirely.

Do you know how much RTGs cost to manufacture??? Something that can power a phone for 30+ years on the same fuel... while the phone itself will be functionally obsolete in 5 or less...

That's not very viable, from a $ perspective alone.

Attached Files:

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm waiting for the miniature arc reactors for phones.... See,
    Ms safer than miniature nuclear reactors..... Know what both of those have in common? Neither exist.... Newbie? More like fake. I have a Phd in quantum physics and classical piano as well as Nobel prize in literature.... all of that is as true as the original OP having some special mini nuc reactor. Besides if you could build it, you wouldn't be on an Internet forum talking about it, you would be selling it to a large corp for millions.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

P.S. Lithium batteries have hit their peak?

Every time someone has said that something has hit its technological apex, they were proven wrong shortly thereafter.

I can't see how batteries are somehow exempt from this.

6. Netr@nger thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Its been built for a while,the hard part is always going to be public fear/cost.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Assuming something like this existed the "hard part" would be some extremist buying 1,000 phones and making a dirty bomb.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Any advanced technology will initially be marketed to early adopters, and those folks are more open-minded about Luddite-ish fears than your average consumer. So, bring it on.

Just, if you want to preserve patentability, be mindful of premature disclosure and offers-to-sell.

Nevermind the nay-sayers. Good luck.

P.S. I'm still trying to make sense of your header: "Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)"

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

You'd never get a nuclear powered phone to any level of safety. Ditto for a car - in an accident would you want radioactive materials spilling all over?