Is it too early to advertise for the holiday seasons?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 12, 2016.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is it too early to advertise for the holiday seasons? It is too early to change your business website over for Christmas? What are your thoughts on this?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think so because you still have Thanksgiving so I think it would be inappropriate to advertise Christmas when you still have Thanksgiving. Companies typically ramp up Christmas promos and advertisements about a week after Thanksgiving.

3. Zenithal Suspended

Halloween decor goes up around now, Thanksgiving the next day, Nov 1, and Christmas sometimes comes in mid October. America for you.

4. mollyc macrumors 6502

Yes, it is too early. My kids have only been back to school for one week. Still in the 90s.

Enjoy one season at a time.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Yes it's too early. However, I was in a department store last weekend and they already had some Christmas decorations up. I know!

6. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Any business advertising Christmas at this time should be made to give a 25% discount off their products.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, it's far too early...but I'm a bit of a Scrooge. On the other hand, I saw a store with a full on Christmas section as early as July.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Federal law states that you can't legally play Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's this holiday season you speak of? Keep Christ in Christmas, bro. :rolleyes:

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

It's too early in my mind, but very few businesses make money off of Halloween or Thanksgiving, so we're stuck w/ seeing all the Xmas things go up early.

I do agree that if stores put up these displays this early, there better be some good discounts

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

That was for Christmas in July deals... [/sarcasm]

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just save some work and leave your Christmas decorations up all year. ;)

14. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

You have nothing to lose. Put it up. It's not like you will lose customers because of that. If you have Filipino (Christmas season and even Christmas music start playing in September) customers, you may even get a sale for putting them in the mood for the holidays.

15. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

We leave ours up till the end of January ... ish ... :D

Just started assessing our Halloween stuff, we go all out :)

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When we lived in a cold environment (Minnesota), it seemed like a natural to keep the decorations lit till the end of Jan. :)

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Far to early. It should be a law you can only start Christmas advertising and such the day after Christmas.

Christmas music should not be permitted until a week before Christmas Day. :D

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the 2 months of Christmas before Christmas is exhausting, and by the time Christmas comes you just want it to be over already. (and then they continue with the Christmas music until New Years)

Obviously I'm being facetious with "laws"... Though I do know some town have banned outdoor Christmas lights ;) (which I find ridiculous). I don't think this discussion needs to be in PRSI.

I'm probably one of the last people qualified to speak of Christmas not being or being raised Christian. I just think it should be confined to a more digestible length of time.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That should be interesting.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

In the Philippines, it is already starting. You can hear Christmas music inside malls by September 1st.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Thankgiving. Not Christmas. Jeeze my mind is fried.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Way too early. It's still more than three months before Christmas. It's not the Christmas season. It's not even close to the Christmas season. It's still more than a quarter of the year away. It would be like buying your July 4 fireworks in late March. Or getting the Easter eggs ready the day after Christmas. Or starting to tell people Happy New Year in October. Or putting up Halloween decorations in July.

Oh wait...a Waloshin thread??!?! I haven't seen one of these in months! Makes sense...

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That's okay, my mind got fried just by reading the word "Christmas" before Halloween.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If somebody's willing to buy, then it's not too early to advertise.

If you're not ready to buy, then don't buy. No harm done.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

C'mon man, it's a sin to put up Christmas stuff before Halloween. You could get killed for that around here. People go batsugar over seeing Christmas lights go up before Thanksgiving. It's just... unWalmartian.

25. Zenithal Suspended

Has that awful period of time started where young folk like to get their pumpkin patch "coffees" or whatever it's called? Usually by then, Christmas decor and theme is in full swing.