Is it too early to sell my iPhone 4......!!??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StuartMoore, Jul 30, 2012.

1. StuartMoore macrumors regular

I've had the iPhone 4 since around about release time, no contract, no ties. I will be buying the next gen iPhone regardless of the rumours/leaks etc........

Question is, am I too early in selling it, in anticipation for the new one coming out September!? I want to get the most money back for it. Bought it sim free for over £400(can't remember exactly), was nearly 2 years ago.

Thanks, Stuart.

2. RenoG macrumors 65816

Not to me I just sold my blk 16g unlocked 4 (had since June release date) I'm using my old 3G. I upgrade every other. Like you regardless of what this new one looks like it'll be mine.

In less than 20 mins I had someone offer me a new (gifted) ipad3 16g wifi as an even exchange, ehh yes I accepted.

3. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. How much do think I should get back for it!? Boxed etc, very good condition(mostly always had a case on).......

Stuart.

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Wow I can't believe someone offered that trade.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Only you can answer this question... Do you have a replacement phone? If not, the next few months might suck. If you do, and you can live with it, you will certainly get more money out of it now than you will the closer it gets to launch.

6. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you're right! Don't have a replacement phone, but could pick one up easy enough. As for the next few months, half of them I will be away working offshore. Working in Norway I can't take my iPhone offshore, but have the iPad to cover this instead. So would only have to put up with no iPhone for the time at home. :)

Stuart.

7. RenoG macrumors 65816

Me either, the sucker was still shrink wrapped too. I had to bust it open to be sure it wasn't some clever scam. (I've use CL since it went online, you live and learn, trust).

Anyway the girl got it as a gift and she already had one, however she needed an unlocked iphone asap since she was about to go out of the country. My phone being scratch/damage free, and OFFICIALLY unlocked by ATT gave her enough confidence to swap without thought.

NOTE: Those of you wanting to sell your AT&T iphones I cannot stress enough, GET THAT THING UNLOCKED VIA AT&T. No lie I had about 50 people call me within the first 20 mins all because it was FACTORY UNLOCKED...do it!!. Although geeks don't care about 3rd party unlocking, the mass public do, it was the first question out the woman's mouth.

8. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

I'm also struggling with this question I bought this 4 used, and I'm very confident I can sell it at a profit now, but I'm curious mainly to know how long I'm going to have to wait.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Sounds like selling soon is a no-brainer then.

10. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Think you may be right!! :)

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

I'd say about $350 (maybe $400 if you're lucky), not sure how much that is in your currency.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unlocked iPhone 4 has dropped a lot in price since AT&T is doing the unlock, at least in my area. I see them for $250 all day long. If you find a guy wanting a quick sale, $200.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well I figured you could easily get 550 - 600 for a 4S.

14. StuartMoore, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully get between £200-£250 then......:):rolleyes:

EDIT-They seem to be going for more than that over here......

Stuart.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Right. Problem is, the market is "flooded" with unlocked iPhone 4 right now. basically if you are out of contract, you are stupid NOT to get your phone unlocked. But this all may be very different overseas. I am not even certain what unlocking policies are there.

16. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

I think I've decided it's time to sell. What exactly do I need to do, prior to selling it for re setting etc.....!? :rolleyes:
    I remember reading somewhere about imessaging still working etc, so want to make sure it's completely clear before posting it off after the sale.......

Thanks, Stuart.

17. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

18. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I have sold old phones through eBay and seen great success. Sold a cracked iPhone 3G (when it was still the current model) for over $400... Sold a thoroughly beat up iPad 2 with busted LCD and shattered glass for over $300.

19. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Stuart, as a fellow Scot who sold his iPhone 4 last month, I thought I'd reply.

I sold my iPhone 4, 16GB, black which I'd had since January 2011. It was bought from the Apple Store in Buchanan Street, Glasgow so was factory unlocked.

It was listed on Gumtree for £280, and while I did get a few scammers (requests to send to Nigeria), after two days I was contacted by a gentleman who was genuinely interested. He asked a lot of questions, rightly so, and he agreed to take the phone as the ad pics showed it boxed and in mint condition.

To sweeten the deal, I made a Genius Bar appt so they could verify that the phone was a genuine factory unlock and so that he could test the phone and it's functionality in a safe and legit environment.

The Genius appt went well and he was delighted with the condition of the phone, accessories, and packaging. I got £270 for my iPhone 4, and got a 4S for free on O2 at £36pm with unlimited x-net mins & texts, and 1GB of 3G.

So I got a new 4S for free, a great value tariff, and £270 in my pocket.

Sorted.

20. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

That was the right way to sell your phone, well done.
    How much should I ask on gumtree uk for my unlocked 16GB Black 4S? It is perfect condition with no one scratch and also has 18 months of AppleCare included?
    Thanks for all help and replies.

21. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent! Well done on your sale. This is the reply I was looking for! :)
    I don't get home until the 8th, but I guess going down the Gumtree/eBay route seems like the way. £250 doesn't seem unrealistc then........

Thanks for your reply, Stuart.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Actually you're far too late.

I'm not being critical, just honest.

The moment we have as much information as we have, including the likely release date, used prices begin falling rapidly.

The ideal time to sell, is before we know this much. I track prices very closely and have noticed a big change over the last four weeks.

23. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Thank you. :)

As for your 4S, if I was selling mine now (I won't be given that I just got it last month) I'd be looking at the fact it'll drop to 8GB and £429 when the next iPhone is released, and the iPhone 4 is dropped down to replace the 3GS.

Given the condition, the fact it's double the capacity (when the 8GB 4S comes), and the 18 months of warranty, I'd be asking £400/£420.

And I'd get it.